- La Nina is back; what does that mean for Africa, Asia (DTE) La Niña means the large-scale cooling of ocean surface temperatures in the central and eastern equatorial Pacific Ocean, together with changes in the tropical atmospheric circulation, namely winds, pressure and rainfall.
- Ministry of I&B constitutes committee to review Guidelines on Television Rating Agencies in India (PIB) It has been found, based on the operation of the guidelines for a few years, that there is need to have a fresh look on the guidelines particularly keeping in view the recent recommendations of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), technological advancements / interventions to address the system and further strengthening of the procedures for a credible and transparent rating system.
- ‘It is in public interest to set up courts to try lawmakers’ (TH) Over 4,400 criminal trials are pending against legislators. Of this over 2,500 trials involve sitting legislators.
- The financial capacity of States being weakened (TH) state governments drive a majority of the country’s development programmes. Greater numbers of people depend on these programmes for their welfare.
GS2: International Relations
- U.S. formally exits Paris pact on curbing climate change (TH) Mr Trump has repeatedly criticised the agreement as economically detrimental and claimed it could cost the country 2.5 million jobs by 2025.
- Explained: Likelihood of future pandemics, their damage potential, as per a new report(IE) The Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem has said pandemic risk can be lowered by reducing human activities that drive loss of biodiversity and by greater conservation of protected areas.
- WWF identifies 100 cities, including 30 in India, facing ‘severe water risk’ by 2050 (DTE) Cities needed to invest more in nature-based solutions and enhance the health of river basins, watersheds and wetlands to build resilience to water risks, WWF Global Water Stewardship Lead, Alexis Morgan, was quoted in the statement.
- ECI to host International Election Visitors Programme 2020 for Bihar Legislative Assembly Elections Bihar has an electorate of over 72 million, one of the largest in the world to vote so far amid the COVID19 pandemic. This provides us with an opportunity to share our best practices and experience of the conduct of our poll process during the pandemic period.