- Disasters displace lakhs: study(TH) The report also offers a snapshot of data on forests, water, waste, air, land, wildlife and other natural resources. It notes that there were 747 more tigers in 2018 than in 2014. However, the net area meant for tiger conservation shrunk by 179 square kilometres
- Explained: What is the Essential Commodities Act, and how will amending it help?(IE) There is no specific definition of essential commodities in The EC Act. Section 2(A) of the act states that an “essential commodity” means a commodity specified in the “Schedule” of this Act.
- Law on locusts(IE) The Directorate administers statutes like the Destructive Insects and Pests Act (1914), its 1992 amendment, and the Insecticides Act (1968), neither of which is specific to locusts. For locusts specifically, one should look towards the East Punjab Agricultural Pests, Diseases and Noxious Weeds Act (1949), which is also applicable in Delhi.
- Union HRD Minister and MoS Housing & Urban Affairs jointly launch TULIP, an Internship Program with ULBs across the country, in New Delhi today(PIB) The Government proposes to start a program whereby the urban local bodies across the country would provide internship opportunities to fresh engineers for a period up to one year.” Such a program will help reap the benefits of India’s demographic dividend as it is poised to have the largest working-age population in the world in the coming years.
- Union Minister Dr. Jitendra Singh launches e-Booklet on one year achievements of DoPPW under Modi Government 2.0(PIB) Another landmark OM in the recent year was extending the Old Pension scheme to those employees who joined on or after 01.01.2004 but whose result for recruitment had been declared before 01.01.2004. This was a long standing demand of employees covered under the National Pension System (NPS) and was the cause of several court cases and anxiety among such employees
GS2: International Relations
- India Australia meet strengthens ties(TH) Modi, Morrison conclude nine pacts including a Mutual Logistics Support Agreement
- Prime Minister Addresses the virtual Global Vaccine Summit 2020(PIB) India is also the World’s foremost producer of vaccines and that it is fortunate to contribute to the immunization of about 60 percent of the World’s children.
- Unemployment rate inches down to 5.8%; minor rise in joblessness among SCs, STs (IE) Unemployment rate, however, rose among Scheduled Castes to 6.4 per cent from 6.3 per cent, and for Scheduled Tribes to 4.5 per cent from 4.3 per cent. But unemployment rate among Other Backward Classes inched lower to 5.9 per cent from 6 per cent.
GS3: Defence Infrastructure
- Swiss cheese and defence reforms(TH)When applied to a nation’s defence preparedness, the Swiss cheese model, in its simplest form, works the reverse way. The slices represent the major constituents in a nation’s war-making potential, while the holes are pathways through which the domains interac
- Virtual celebrations of the World Environment Day with focus on Urban Forest(PIB) This year’s theme is ‘Biodiversity’. In view of the prevalent situation due to COVID-19 pandemic the ministry will be holding virtual celebrations of World Environment Day on this year’s theme themewith focus on Nagar Van (Urban Forests).
- Embracing alternative protein(TH) Large-scale, industrial animal agriculture for meat, eggs, and dairy — also called factory farming — creates and exacerbates planetary health risks at every scale.