- Explained: Chauri Chaura, freedom struggle signpost from 100 years ago (IE) The town of Chauri Chaura was the scene of a violent incident with far-reaching consequences during the freedom struggle a century ago.
"Geography: Natural Resources" :GS1
- Preliminary survey shows deposits of Lithium in Mandya district of Karnataka (PIB) Lithium is a key element for new technologies and finds its use in ceramics, glass, telecommunication and aerospace industries. The well-known uses of Lithium are in Lithium ion batteries, lubricating grease, high energy additive to rocket propellants, optical modulators for mobile phones and as convertor to tritium used as a raw material for thermonuclear reactions i.e. fusion.
- More than 39 billion school meals missed during COVID-19 pandemic: UN report (DTE) The UN World Food Programme has been supporting governments to adapt their school meals programs during school closures. In the first nine months of 2020, more than 13 million schoolchildren received UN World Food Programme school-based support as compared to 17.3 million the previous year.
- Improvement in Ranking of States (PIB) The assessment of States/UTs under SRAP, 2019 was based on feedback obtained from users/professionals against 180 out of 187 reform points, which is in congruence with the methodology followed by the World Bank in its global Doing Business rankings.
Economy: Energy: GS3
- Nuclear Energy Production (PIB) There are presently 22 reactors with a total capacity of 6780 MW in operation and one reactor, KAPP-3 (700 MW) has been connected to the grid on January 10, 2021. In addition, there are 8 reactors (including 500 MW PFBR being implemented by BHAVINI) totaling to 6000 MW under construction at various stages.
- MAKE IN INDIA 2.0 (PIB) Recently, Government has taken various steps in addition to ongoing schemes to boost domestic investments in India. These include the National Infrastructure Pipeline, Reduction in Corporate Tax, easing liquidity problems of NBFCs and Banks, trade policy measures to boost domestic manufacturing. Government of India has also promoted domestic manufacturing of goods through public procurement orders, Phased Manufacturing Programme (PMP), Schemes for Production Linked Incentives of various Ministries.
- "Union Ministers jointly launch Unified Portal of Gobardhan to promote Gobardhan scheme and track real time progress (PIB)" He added that for achieving ODF Plus goal, Gobardhan scheme was launched in early 2018 to manage the prevailing issues of bio-waste in villages including cattle wasteand converting them into biogas and organic manure to improve the lives of villagers by providing economic and resource benefits to farmers and households. He hailed the new Unified Approach strategy and said that Unified Gobardhan portal will ensure close coordination with stakeholder Departments/Ministries for smooth implementation of Biogas schemes/initiatives and its real time tracking.
- One District One Product Scheme (PIB) Further, Department of Commerce through DGFT is engaging with State and Central government agencies to promote the initiative of One District One Product. The objective is to convert each District of the country into an export hub by identifying products with export potential in the District, addressing bottlenecks for exporting these products, supporting local exporters, manufacturers to scale up manufacturing, and find potential buyers outside India with the aim of promoting exports, promoting manufacturing & services industry in the District and generate employment in the District.
Economy: Infra: GS3
- Urban visions (TH) Metro Rail and buses help with mobility, but sound urbanisation needs policy reform
- Youth Employment; Employment Generation in Organised and Unorganised Sector (PIB) As per the latest results of Annual Periodic Labour Force Survey (PLFS) conducted by National Statistical Office (NSO), Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation during 2018-19 the estimated Worker Population Ratio on usual status (principal status+subsidiary status) basis for the persons age 15 years and above..
Economy: Energy GS3
- Ethanol as an alternate fuel (PIB) Government has been promoting use of ethanol as a blend stock with main automotive fuel like petrol in line with the National Policy on Biofuels (NBP) -2018 under the Ethanol Blended Petrol (EBP) Programme. This policy envisages an indicative target of blending 20% ethanol in petrol by 2030.
Economy: Infra GS3
- National Rail Plan (PIB) To create capacity ahead of demand by 2030, which in turn would cater to growth in demand right up to 2050 and also increase the modal share of Railways from 27% currently to 45% in freight by 2030 as part of a national commitment to reduce Carbon emission and to continue to sustain it. Net Zero Carbon emission by 2030.
Science & Technology: GS3
- ‘Collection of DNA samples will lead to misuse’ (TH) Justice Lokur makes a written submission to the Parliamentary Standing Committee on S&T.