- ‘Governor can rule on Rajiv convicts’ plea’(TH) The Supreme Court on Tuesday said the Multi-Disciplinary Monitoring Agency (MDMA) investigation into the “larger conspiracy” behind Rajiv Gandhi assassination in 1991 need not deter the Tamil Nadu Governor from deciding the plea for pardon of convicts like A.G. Perarivalan
- AG declines consent for case against Jagan (TH) But timing of Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister’s letter to CJI against SC judge Ramana and its public release could be suspect, he says
- More children to get fortified rice (TH) Children in anganwadis and government schools could soon be eating rice infused with iron, folic acid and vitamin B-12.
- 15 States have been identified for implementing Centrally Sponsored Pilot Scheme on Fortification of Rice & its distribution through Public Distribution System (PIB) To initiate the process of taking the country towards nutritional security, Department of Food & Public Distribution (DFPD) has been running a “Centrally Sponsored Pilot Scheme on Fortification of Rice & its distribution through Public Distribution System”. The Pilot Scheme has been approved for a period of three years beginning 2019-2020 with a total budget outlay of Rs.174.6 Crore. Fifteen State Governments have identified their respective districts (1 district per state) for implementing the Pilot Scheme. Already 5 states of Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and Chhattisgarh have started the distribution of fortified rice in their respective identified districts.
GS2: International Relations
- The importance of Gilgit-Baltistan, and why Pakistan has given it provisional province status (IE) Gilgit-Baltistan is the northernmost territory administered by Pakistan, providing the country's only territorial frontier, and thus a land route, with China, where it meets the Xinjiang Autonomous Region.
- Explained: How scheme for street vendors will help alleviate poverty (IE) In a new scheme called the Pradhan Mantri Street Vendors Atmanirbhar Nidhi (PM SVANidhi), the central government is extending Rs 10,000 loan as working capital to street vendors to restart their businesses which have been hit by the Covid-19 pandemic. The scheme is already a hit; so far 25 lakh street vendors have come forward seeking the loan.
GS3: Science & Technology
- "Dr. Harsh Vardhan releases the NCAER Report on ""Estimating the economic benefits of Investment in Monsoon Mission and High Performance Computing Facilities (PIB)" tating that “Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS) provides ocean state forecasts and warnings to fishermen going out to sea for fishing on daily basis”, Dr. Harsh Vardhan pointed out, “These forecasts and warnings are also disseminated to fishermen through all communication channels. At present around 7 lakh fishermen receive ocean state forecasts and warnings”.
- Hardeep S. Puri to inaugurate 13th Urban Mobility India Conference 2020 (PIB) However, with rapidly increasing mobility, needs and availability of technology, there is expected shift from vehicle ownership to vehicle sharing and public transport, with higher emphasis on multimodal seamless connectivity and clean mobility. To address these issues, the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, Government of India issued the National Urban Transport Policy, 2006 (NUTP).
- "Tele-Law touches a new milestone; 4 Lakh beneficiaries received legal advice under the initiative through CSC (PIB)" Embarking on the “Digital India Vision” of the Government of India, Department of Justice has been harnessing “emerging” and “indigenous” digital platforms to accelerate and make access to justice a reality for all. In meeting this objective, Tele-Law programme was launched in 2017 to address cases at pre–litigation stage. Under this programme, smart technology of video conferencing, telephone /instant calling facilities available at the vast network of Common Service Centres at the Panchayat level are used to connect the indigent, down-trodden, vulnerable, unreached groups and communities with the Panel Lawyers for seeking timely and valuable legal advice.