- NMCG & NIUA organized IDEAthon on ‘The Future of River Management’(PIB) The National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) under the Ministry of Jal Shakti and National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA) organized an IDEAthon on “The future of River Management’ to explore how the COVID-19 crisis can shape River Management strategies for the future.
- States scrape the barrel as revenues dry up(TH) : Revenues from own taxes account for just under half (45%) of the total revenues of the States, according to a Reserve Bank of India study of state finances; central transfers account for 47.5%. Of the own tax revenues, 90% comes from taxes on liquor, petroleum products, stamp duty and registration of vehicles.
GS2: International Relations
- BRICS against COVID-19(TH) The New Development Bank’s financial model can become a template to address natural disasters.
- Krishi Pradhan(IE) Need of the hour is to maximise possibilities of agriculture, which has demonstrated its utility and resilience in trying times.
- Unheard and unseen(IE) As we grapple with a health, economic and humanitarian crisis of epic proportions, the immediate need is to provide emergency relief to cushion the effects of the dual shocks of the virus and lockdown on informal workers.
- Algal blooms in the Arabian Sea threaten our food chain(Mint) New study, entitled Ecosystem state change in the Arabian Sea fuelled by the recent loss of snow over the Himalayan- Tibetan plateau region, is an unusually all-encompassing snapshot of the interconnected impacts of climate change
GS3: Science & Tech
- "Dr Harsh Vardhan connects with Department of Science & Technology on COVID-19 preparations(PIB)" The Minister also launched “COVID KATHA”, a multimedia guide on COVID-19 on the occasion. As DST enters 50 years of serving the nation through Science & Technology, the Golden Jubilee Celebrations were also launched, initiating myriad activities in different parts of the country throughout the year.
- Using human sweat as diagnostic tool and source of power(TH) These days, skin specialists do an interesting procedure, in which they attach a thin polymer-based sheet which contains the desired drug, stick it to the skin on your arm or chest and deliver the drug past the sweat fluid directly into the body, using a tiny electric current on the patch.
- Coronavirus: What is a pulse oximeter, and why is it now sought after?(IE) The pulse oximeter is used to check the health of patients who have known conditions that affect blood oxygen levels and for those who show symptoms such as shortness of breath.
- Explained: How remdesivir tricks coronavirus(IE) Remdesivir is designed to obstruct the stage of replication, when the virus creates copies of itself, followed endlessly by the copies creating copies of themselves.