- Nation’s name plea can be sent to Centre “Bharat and India are both names given in the Constitution. India is already called ‘Bharat’ in the Constitution”, Chief Justice of India (CJI) Sharad A. Bobde orally said in a virtual court hearing.
- Cabinet approves establishment of Pharmacopoeia Commission for Indian Medicine & Homoeopathy (PCIM&H) as Subordinate Office under Ministry of AYUSH(PIB) Presently, Pharmacopoeia Commission for Indian Medicine & Homoeopathy (PCIM&H) is an autonomous body under the aegis of Ministry of AYUSH established since 2010. The merger is aimed at optimizing the use of infrastructural facilities, technical manpower and financial resources of the three organizations for enhancing the standardization outcomes of Ayurveda, Siddha, Unani and Homoeopathy drugs towards their effective regulation and quality control.
- Explained: What is Inner Line Permit, what is its CAA context?(IE) Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland and Mizoram are protected by the Inner Line, and lately Manipur was added. The concept originates from the Bengal Eastern Frontier Regulation Act (BEFR), 1873.
GS2: International Relations
- Govt. to boost infrastructure in areas along China border(TH) Villages, towns identified by security forces to get priority.
- Seven to eleven(TH); Move over G7, it’s time for a new and improved G11(Mint) US President Donald Trump is keen to expand G7 to include India, Russia, South Korea and Australia. He has invited PM Narendra Modi to attend the G7 meeting in the US later this year. Mint explores the reasons behind Trump’s moves and whether India should play ball.
- A middle power movement(IE) - India-Australia Common membership of many groupings like the G-20, East Asia Summit, IORA, and the Quad has increased the possibilities for diplomatic cooperation on regional and global issues
- PM chairs Cabinet Meeting to give historic boost to Rural India(PIB) With the amendment to Essential Commodities Act, commodities like cereals, pulses, oilseeds, edible oils, onion and potatoes will be removed from list of essential commodities. This will remove fears of private investors of excessive regulatory interference in their business operations.
- Cabinet nod for agri marketing reforms(TH) The Farmers (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement on Price Assurance and Farm Services Ordinance, 2020 is aimed at facilitating contract farming, where a private buyer contracts to purchase a crop at a certain price at the beginning of a season, transferring the risk of market unpredictability from the farmer to the corporate sponsor.
- Government turns its focus on rural economy as India unlocks(Mint) Mandis will stay. The APMC Act of states will stay but in areas outside of its purview, even if it is a farmer’s house, any company, organization, processing industry can go and buy their produce at optimum price…no tax will be imposed on it.
- India among 10 nations set to face USTR probe for taxing digital service companies (IE) India — in amendments to the Finance Act, 2020 in March-end — had expanded the ambit of the equalisation levy for non-resident e-commerce operators involved in supply of services, including online sale of goods and provision of services, with the levy at the rate of 2 per cent.
- Cabinet approves renaming of Kolkata Port Trust as Syama Prasad Mookerjee Trust(PIB) The Kolkata Port is the first Major Port as well as the only riverine port of the country.
- Major Impact on climate due to extension of Amery Ice Shelf (AIS), NCPOR study reveals(PIB) The floating sheets of ice called the ice shelves play a multi-faceted role in maintaining the stability of a glacier. Ice shelves connect a glacier to the landmass. The ice sheet mass balance, sea stratification, and bottom water formation are important parameters for the balancing of a glacier. Latent and sensible heat processes do play important roles here.