- Persistence of Putin In 2018, in a similar rubber-stamping exercise, the National People’s Congress amended the Chinese constitution to remove a two-term cap on the presidency. This signified that Xi Jinping could remain president forever, returning the world to the era of Lenin, Stalin and Chairman Mao.
GS2: International Relations
- Lessons for India(TH) An international arbitration court has ruled that India does not have jurisdiction to try the marines, who, it held, were entitled to immunity as they were acting on behalf of a state.
- Will accept marines case ruling: Centre(TH) India is bound by the award of the arbitral tribunal formed under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), the government said. The award is “final and without appeal,” as India is a party to the U.N. Convention.
- With economic measures, India seeks to turn tables on China(TH) However, options are tilted in China’s favour because the country is far less dependent on India’s market than India is on Chinese imports
- It is time for India to invest in ties with Taiwan To improve ties with Beijing, Delhi has been reluctant to work with Taipei. Shed the diffidence, engage more
GS2: Social Justice
- Reset rural job policies, recognise women’s work(TH) As India emerges from the lockdown, labour market policy has to reverse the pandemic’s gender-differentiated impact
GS3 : Economy
- Explained: What did it take for the Indian Railways to achieve 100% punctuality?(IE) The 100 per cent punctuality on July 1 has been achieved when the network is running just 230 passenger trains – along with about 3,000 loaded freight trains and 2,200 empty ones.
- Atma Nirbhar Bharat Abhiyan To be given boost in Power Sector, import replacement a priority : R.K. Singh(PIB)" He said that our country’s import bill for power equipments was around Rs.71,000 crore in the year 2018-19 even when we have manufacturing facility & ability for various requirements of the Power Sector, which includes import of over Rs. 20,000 crore from China. He said that Power Sector being strategic and essential in nature is vulnerable for cyber attacks.
- In a plastic crisis(IE) If each of the 7.8 billion people around the world had to be inoculated, this would amount to an additional plastic consumption of 400 tonnes. Are we going to wait till the end of the pandemic to effectively dispose of plastic waste, or is the time now?
- ‘PRERAK DAUUR SAMMAN’ NEW CATEGORY OF AWARDS INTRODUCED(PIB) Every year, the Swachh Survekshan is redesigned innovatively, to ensure that the process becomes more robust, with focus on sustaining the behaviour change.