GS1: Modern History
- Union Home Minister Shri Amit Shah inaugurated a two-day international webinar on 'Lokmanya Tilak - Swaraj to Self-Reliant India' 100th death anniversary of great freedom fighter Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak(PIB) The Union Home Minister said that before Lokmanya Tilak ji, people knew the ‘Asceticism’ of 'Gita', but while in jail, Tilak ji wrote 'Gita Rahasya' and worked to bring ‘Karmayog’ in the Gita before the people. Tilak’s 'Geeta Rahasya' is still a guiding post for people.
- A change that hit federalism, inclusion(TH) The two core ideas that he consistently advocated were: peace would not ensue in J&K without guaranteeing respect for the democratic rights for its people; to ensure that the most important tool would be a rigorous pursuit of federalism within the State. Both of these are particularly salient in the present context.
GS3: Defence Policy
- Govt. issues draft policy to ramp up defence exports(TH); MoD releases draft Defence Production and Export Promotion Policy 2020(PIB) In view of the experience gained by the domestic industry, the Draft proposes increasing the Indigenous Content (IC) stipulated in various categories of procurement by about 10% to support the ‘Make in India’ initiative.
- Panel on labour suggests social protection for informal workers(Mint) Stress has been laid on definitions of certain terms, as the committee felt that the definition of gig workers needs to be more specific and that of platform workers needs to be expanded.
- The govt and RBI face a trilemma regarding PSBs(Mint) It is clear that it is not possible to: (i) have dominance of government banks (public sector banks) in the banking sector; (ii) retain independent regulation; and (iii) adhere to public debt-gross domestic product (GDP) targets." The government along with RBI cannot hope to achieve all three points at the same time.
GS3: Science & Technology
- Explained: What is BeiDou, China’s version of GPS(IE) The GPS is owned by the US government and operated by the US Air Force. Apart from this, Russia has its navigation system called GLONASS, the European Union (EU) has Galileo, while India’s is called Navigation with Indian Constellation (NavIC).
- Electronic Vaccine Intelligence Network (eVIN) has ensured essential immunization services during the COVID pandemic(PIB) The Electronic Vaccine Intelligence Network (eVIN) is an innovative technological solution aimed at strengthening immunization supply chain systems across the country. This is being implemented under National Health Mission (NHM) by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. eVIN aims to provide real-time information on vaccine stocks and flows, and storage temperatures across all cold chain points in the country.
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan announces the successful completion of first Pan India 1000 Genome sequencing of SARS- CoV-2(PIB) The information in the database will improve our understanding on how the virus is spreading, ultimately helping to interrupt the transmission chains, prevent new cases of infection, and provide impetus to research on intervention measures”