- Explained: Why Cyclone Burevi will not be as strong as Cyclone Nivar (IE) A tropical cyclone is an intense circular storm that originates over warm tropical oceans.
- Castes count (TH) However, it is equally true that there is a social and legal necessity for compiling caste-wise data. The Supreme Court has been asking States to produce quantifiable data to justify their levels of reservation, and it would help Tamil Nadu to retain its 69% total reservation.
- There has never been a woman CJI, says AG (TH) Attorney-General K.K. Venugopal on Wednesday took the Supreme Court’s invitation to suggest ways to gender-sensitise judges as an opportunity to tell the court it has never had a woman Chief Justice. He told the Supreme Court that more women judges in constitutional courts would certainly improve gender sensitivity in the judiciary.
- Explained: Consent for Contempt (IE) The AG's consent is mandatory when a private citizen wants to initiate a case of contempt of court against a person. ... This is because the court is exercising its inherent powers under the Constitution to punish for contempt and such Constitutional powers cannot be restricted because the AG declined to grant consent.
- "WHO World Malaria Report 2020: India continues to make Impressive Gains in reduction of Malaria Burden (IE)" In the WHO South-East Asia Region, malaria deaths reduced by 74 per cent, from about 35,000 in 2000 to 9,000 in 2019. India, however, still accounted for 88 per cent of malaria cases and 86 per cent of malaria deaths in the WHO South-East Asia Region in 2019.
GS2: International Relations
- China nod for downstream dam on Brahmaputra (TH) China in 2015 operationalised its first hydropower project at Zangmu in Tibet, while three other dams at Dagu, Jiexu and Jiacha are being developed, all on the upper and middle reaches of the river. The report said this will be the first time the downstream sections of the river will be tapped.