- Grant of Rs. 4,608 crore released for Local Bodies The RLB grants are meant for all the tiers in the panchayat – village, block and district as well as for 5th and 6th Schedule areas in the States. RLB grants are partly basic/untied and partly tied in nature. The basic grants can be used by RLBs for location-specific felt needs. On the other hand, tied grants can only be used for the basic services of (a) sanitation and maintenance of open-defecation free (ODF) status and (b) supply of drinking water, rain water harvesting and water recycling. In the year 2020-21, basic RLB grant of Rs. 32,742.50 crore and tied RLB grant of Rs. 28,007.50 crore has been released by the Ministry.
GS2: International Relations
- U.S., Iran agree to indirect nuclear talks (TH) State Department spokesperson Ned Price called the resumption of negotiations, scheduled for Tuesday in Vienna, 'a healthy step forward.'
- In Geneva face-off, outrage versus hope(TH) The Human Rights Council is where Sinhala and Tamil nationalisms meet and confront each other
- Maternal deaths rose during pandemic: study(TH) The impact on pregnancy outcomes high on poorer countries, says study
- A missing science pillar in the COVID response(TH) India’s fight against the resurgence of the coronavirus is a challenge requiring strengthened data and better science
- Govt. asks PSU refiners to review Saudi oil deals(TH) The government has told IOC, BPCL and HPCL) to look for oil supplies from outside the Middle East region and use collective bargaining power to get favourable terms.