- Time for a ‘sponge cities’ mission in India (TH) The idea needs traction at a time when discussion on urban flooding only reduces the problem to simple dichotomies
GS2: International Relations
- Malabar naval exercise to kick off next week (TH) The second phase of the mega exercise is scheduled to be held from November 17 to 20 in the Arabian sea.
- India’s outreach to Myanmar (TH) The recent announcement of initiatives establishes India’s presence in sectors where it ought to be more pronounced
- Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Goa best governed States: report (TH) Kerala was adjudged the best governed State in the large States category, while Uttar Pradesh ended at the bottom, in the Public Affairs Index-2020 released by
- "Fifteenth Finance Commission to hand in report on Nov. 9 (TH); The 15th Finance Commission concludes deliberations (TH)" XV-FC was constituted by the Honourable President of India in pursuance of clause (1) of article 280 of the Constitution, read with the provisions of the Finance Commission (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act, 1951 (33 of 1951) with Shri N.K. Singh as Chairman, Mr. Shri Shaktikanta Das, Dr. Anoop Singh, Dr. Ashok Lahiri and Dr. Ramesh Chand as Members and Shri Arvind Mehta as Secretary. Subsequent to Shri. Shaktikanta Das demitting his office, Shri. Ajay Narayan Jha was appointed as a Member.
- Explained: How Covid-19 has affected finances of state governments (IE) The presence of empowered local governance institutions and community participation helped the Kerala state in effectively reaching out to affected people, the RBI said. With the resurgence in new cases, Kerala is actively roping in the services of local self-governments (LSGs) in its fight against the pandemic.
- Explained: How to read the Index of Eight Core Sector Industries (IE) Since these eight industries are the essential “basic” and/or “intermediate” ingredient in the functioning of the broader economy, mapping their health provides a fundamental understanding of the state of the economy.
- New wage code bars bonus for those facing sex abuse charges (TH) Among other things, the Code on Wages lays down norms for annual bonus dues that accrue to employees, replacing the Payment of Bonus Act, 1965. The new Code, expected to become operational once the government notifies the rules, includes ‘conviction for sexual harassment’ as a ground for denying bonus payouts to employees.
- Explained: How corals off Mumbai’s coast will be moved (IE) Reefs begin when a polyp attaches itself to a rock on the seafloor, then divides, or buds, into thousands of clones. The polyp calicles connect to one another, creating a colony that acts as a single organism.