- 19 lakh NRC excluded stuck in limbo(TH) The ongoing COVID-19 crisis and the floods in between have been blamed for the delay in the process of issuing rejection slips to each of the excluded, citing the reasons why they were left out.
- "Union Ministers Shri Gowda and Shri Mandaviya complements NPPA on its 23rdFoundation Day today for playing crucial role in reasonable pricing and availability ofessential medicines(PIB)" NPPA was set-up as an independent Regulator on 29th August, 1997 for pricing of drugs and to ensure availability and accessibility of medicines at affordable prices. The regulator, an attached office of the Department of Pharmaceuticals (DoP), Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers was created vide Government of India Resolution The functions of NPPA include fixation and revision of prices of Scheduled drugs under Drug (Price Control) Orders issued from time to time, as well as monitoring and enforcement of prices and ensuring availability and accessibility of all medicines and medical devices, including non scheduled drugs.
GS2: Social Justice
- "Explained: The UN’s guidelines on access to social justice for people with disabilities(IE)" The UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, which was adopted in 2007 as the first major instrument of human rights in the 21st century, defines persons with disabilities as those “who have long-term physical, mental, intellectual or sensory impairments which in interaction with various barriers may hinder their full and effective participation in society on an equal basis with others”.
GS2: International Relations
- India pulls out of Kavkaz due to China(TH) Russia and India are close and privileged strategic partners. At Russia's invitation India has been participating in many international events.
- What is the new idea on supply chains?(TH) In the context of international trade, supply chain resilience is an approach that helps a country to ensure that it has diversified its supply risk across a clutch of supplying nations instead of being dependent on just one or a few.
- "Japan’s PM Shinzo Abe resigns: here’s how his tenure was and what happens next(IE); Abe’s tenure will particularly be known for his aggressive economic policies known as ‘Abenomics’ that focussed on Japan’s economic revival and combined structural reform, monetary easing and fiscal expansion, with the goal to increase domestic demand.
- Rupee gains nearly 2% in a week: What are the factors driving the upswing?(IE) The rupee rose nearly two per cent to 73.40 against the US dollar last week as foreign portfolio investors (FPIs) pumped more money into Indian markets and the Reserve Bank of India refrained from intervening in the foreign exchange market.
- "Govt to soon fill top posts in key regulatory bodies(Mint) The Financial Sector Regulatory Appointment Search Committee, comprising the cabinet secretary, RBI governor, and the financial services secretary, interviewed the candidates. The responsibility of financial regulation falls on the now vacant post of deputy governor.
- 17TH ASEAN-India Economic Ministers’ Consultations held(PIB) The Ministers’ discussion centred on the review of the ASEAN India Trade in Goods Agreement (AITIGA). The Ministers appreciated the growing trade ties and deepening economic engagement between two parties. The report of the ASEAN India Business Council (AIBC) was placed before the Ministers.
- President of India virtually presents National Sports and Adventure Awards, 2020(PIB) The Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, the highest sporting honour of the country is given for spectacular and outstanding performance in the field of sports by a sportsperson over a period of four years. There were five winners of the award this year, cricketer Rohit Sharma, wrestler Vinesh Phogat, table tennis player Manika Batra, hockey player Rani Rampal and Para-athlete Mariyappan Thangavelu. The Arjuna Award is given for consistent performances over a period of four years, amongst the winners this year were shooters Saurabh Chaudhary and Manu Bhaker, wrestler Divya Kakran, boxer Lovlina Borgohain and badminton stars Chirag Shetty and Satwiksairaj Rankireddy. This year athletes in KhoKho, Kabaddi, Equestrian and winter sports were also awarded with the Arjuna Award.