- South America witnessed extreme lightning strikes in 2018, 2019: WMO (DTE) If the time between a lightning flash and thunder is less than 30 seconds, people should stay indoors and wait 30 minutes after the last observed flash to resume outdoor activities, according to the WMO.
- T.N. custodial deaths highlight need for police reforms: CHRI(TH) If the death of Jayaraj and Benicks are ultimately established as custodial murder as a result of torture or assault by the police, it would only mean that the problem is much deeper than the mere lack of professionalism in investigative methods.
- Death in Custody (IE) More than two weeks ago, the same set of officials was accused of beating up some persons, allegedly leading to the death of one — a district judge asked for a detailed inquiry, describing it as a “disturbing incident of custodial torture” in his report to the Madras High Court.
- Share public data with the public(TH) In India, a step towards making non-sensitive government data accessible online was taken in 2012 with the adoption of the National Data Sharing and Accessibility Policy (NDSAP).
- Grain aplenty and the crisis of hunger(TH) The focus on One Nation One Ration Card is misplaced when what is needed is a universal Public Distribution System.
- The STARS project needs an overhaul(TH) Second, administrative or governance reforms must give greater discretion to the front-line bureaucracy to address local issues and innovate if required.
- A guide to the proposed social stock exchange for NGOs(Mint) Launched on 1 July 2017, it was advertised as a single tax for one nation, a move that would support national integration and give the economy a fillip.
GS2 : International Relations
- In 24 hours, Palestine faces an existential threat(TH); ‘Israel’s annexation plans are illegal’(TH)" The UN Secretary General’s alarm has been sounded in the context of the Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s reported plan to annex on July 1 around 30% of the Occupied West Bank.
GS2: Social Justice
- A new era of accessibility(TH) This is an opportunity for policymakers to improve accessibility for persons with disabilities in the post-COVID world
- India, Bhutan sign pact for first joint hydel project(TH) The 600 MW Kholongchhu project is one of four additional projects agreed to in 2008
GS3: Internal Security
- Legitimate concern(TH) A final Naga peace accord is key to maintenance of law and order in the State
- Explained: Why the government is likely to spend much less this fiscal(IE) Lower revenue stream and the rising debt levels of central and state governments on account of enhanced borrowing to deal with the COVID-19 pandemic-related expenditure have also led to concerns of the debt-GDP ratio breaching the notional red line of 80 per cent from the levels of 70 per cent seen last fiscal.
- NPA worries may force RBI’s hand on a loan recast(Mint) Restructuring happens through a change in the repayment period, repayable sum, number of instalments, rate of interest, rollover of credit facilities, sanction of additional credit facility or enhancement of existing limits.
GS3: Science & Technology
- Delhi’s plasma bank: What’s the aim, how effective has the therapy been so far?(IE) The normal respiration rate for an adult at rest is 12 to 20 breaths per minute. CP was administered to those whose respiratory rate had soared to 35.36 breaths per minute. Post administering plasma, the respiratory rate improved substantially with a drop of 8.22 in the first 48 hours and a drop of 14.92 in 7 days.
PM FME Scheme to generate total investment of Rs 35,000 crore and 9 lakh skilledand semi-skilled employment: Harsimrat Kaur Badal(PIB) Union FPI Minister said that the unorganized food processing sector comprising nearly 25 lakh units contribute to 74% of employment in food processing sector. Nearly 66% of these units are located in rural areas and about 80% of them are family-based enterprises supporting livelihood rural household and minimizing their migration to urban areas. These units largely fall within the category of micro enterprises.