- Image can’t be better than reality(TH) On World Press Freedom Day, it is important to acknowledge the plight of journalists covering the pandemic in India.
- What has really tripped up India’s Covid efforts? (IE) An outdated administrative system and a knowledge elite who have soaked up prestige but not delivered the facts are the biggest hurdle between us and a material society with a modern accountable state.
- Centre faces questions over how it plans to use foreign aid(TH) France delivered eight oxygen plants on Sunday, four of which government sources said would be used for hospitals in Delhi.
- How amending IPRs for vaccines could help India (LiveMint) As the second wave of covid-19 rages in India, it is essential to speed up vaccinations. With universal adult vaccination involving states and the private sector starting on 1 May, there is a big likelihood of vaccine shortage. Mint explains the context and the way forward.
- What steps must be taken to secure oxygen – for COVID-19 patients and into the future(DTE) COVID-19 is a long-game; the best time to start implementing effective oxygen systems may have been several years ago, but the next best time is now
- Why experts are not happy with India’s COVID-19 vaccine procurement, pricing policy(DTE) India only COVID-19 vaccine producer that has shifted burden onto citizens to pay for vaccines by opening private markets for them, experts say
GS3: Science and Technology
- Scientists working on SUTRA model for charting trajectory of COVID-19(PIB) We have been working on a mathematical model to predict the spread of the virus. It is important to note that a mathematical model can only predict future with some certainty so long as virus dynamics and its transmissibility don’t change substantially over time. Mathematical models can also provide a mechanism to predicting alternate scenarios corresponding to various policy decisions such as non-pharmaceutical interventions.
- PM reviews progress of converting Nitrogen plants to Oxygen Plants(PIB) Considering the requirement of medical oxygen amidst the COVID-19 pandemic situation, the Government of India explored the feasibility of conversion of existing nitrogen plants to produce oxygen. Various such potential industries, wherein existing nitrogen plants may be spared for production of oxygen were identified.