- La Niña influence: Indian winter to be colder than normal (DTE) It usually brings in colder than normal winters in India. “La Niña influences the Indian subcontinent by piping in cold air from Siberia and South China, which interacts with the tropical heating to produce a north-south low-pressure system,” said Raghu Murtugudde, climate scientist at the University of Maryland.
- J&K’s Roshni Act: Who it helped own land, and why it’s been scrapped (IE) The Jammu and Kashmir administration’s plan to evict encroachers on state-owned land and retrieve all the land distributed under the controversial Roshni Act within six months has left thousands of mostly poor people in the Union territory defrauded and terrified of possible homelessness.
GS2: Social issues
- The last straw is being further disabled (TH) Denying a prisoner with disabilities his recognised rights is a legal wrong and a display of a lack of compassion
GS2: International Relations
- Explained: Kashmir, India and the OIC (IE) India, with the world's third-largest Muslim population, has long been considered a possible candidate for OIC membership
GS3: Economy, Environment
- Many violations in Chardham project (TH) Environmentalists have alleged that the contractors deputed by the government to make roads as part of the Chardham project are violating the Supreme Court orders on the appropriate road width to be followed in mountainous terrain.
- GST inflows top Rs. 1 lakh cr. for second month in a row (TH) Among the major States, Andhra Pradesh (12%), Gujarat and Jharkhand (11%), followed by Tamil Nadu (10%), were the only ones to record double-digit growth in November’s GST revenues compared to a year ago.
GS3: MSP related issues
- Explained: How the 1.5-times formula for crops MSP is calculated (IE) As per the A2 method, MSP is set 50% higher than the amount farmer spend on farming including spending on seeds, fertilisers, pesticides, and labour. C2 method on the other hand makes the calculation by including a wider range of inputs The present MSP has been calculated based on the A2+FL method.