- Incorporating limits speech is free, but it is a freedom that comes with responsibility. And responsible speech is not just something that does not contain abuse, defamation or incitement to violence.
- Children under mid-day meal scheme to get aid This one-time special welfare measure of the union government will benefit about 11.8 crore children studying in class I to VIII in the 11.2 lakh government and government aided schools across the country
GS2: International Developments
- India seeks more studies on virus origin India on Friday extended support to the renewed global call for a comprehensive study by the World Health Organization (WHO) into the origins of covid-19 pandemic which has caused more than three million deaths worldwide since it was first reported in China in late 2019.
- France and the Rwandan genocide In Kigali, French President Emmanuel Macron asked Rwandans for “forgiveness” for France’s role in the 1994 killings.
- Why edible oil are costlier The prices of six edible oils have risen sharply in the last one year. How much edible oil do Indians consume? What domestic and international factors have caused this price rise, and what is the way forward?
- No consensus in GST Council on rate for vaccines amid Centre-oppn rift The Council, which met after October 2020, discussed the issue of compensation payments, for which states raised concerns about the 7-per cent revenue growth assumption. A special session will be called soon for discussing compensation issues and the extension of guaranteed compensation period beyond June 2022
- Govt. puts off decision on tax relief for COVID-19 supplies The Goods and Services Tax (GST) Council failed to agree on immediate tax breaks for critical pandemic relief supplies, including COVID-19 vaccines.
- UN convention for the conservation of the migratory species of wild animals While CMS is a treaty of the United Nations, the statement clarified that it is separate from both the UN Secretariat and the UN Environment Programme and the only entity for which Hooda served as a brand ambassador was CMS.