- PM pays tributes to Veer Savarkar on his jayanti(PIB) We remember him for his bravery, motivating several others to join the freedom struggle and emphasis on social reform", the Prime Minister said.
- It’s time to revisit facets of Savarkar’s life and work which can guide us today(IE)" Savarkar’s ideas of modernity, social and religious reforms, cultivation of scientific temper and embracing technological tools continue to be relevant for building a new India in the post COVID-19 era.
- Delimitation Commission holds meeting(IE) Requisite Census data has been received from Registrar General and Census Commissioner of India.Commission directed to pursue the concerned State Governments for any pending information.It also asked to seek other necessary data/map from the respective CEOs within a time frame.
- Hindi as official language in Haryana courts challenged(TH) Lawyers in their petition say the move will result in an unreasonable classification between lawyers who are fluent in Hindi and those who are not
GS2: International Relations
- For a reset in India-Nepal relations(TH); India says open to dialogue with Nepal, ties on upswing(TH) India inherited the boundary with Nepal, established between Nepal and the East India Company in the Treaty of Sugauli in 1816. Kali river constituted the boundary, and the territory to its east was Nepal
- From a standoff to a stalemate(TH) China has a history of changing lines. In the late 1950s, the lines kept moving westward, and ultimately led to the 1962 war.
- Standing its ground(IE) Even as it repels Beijing’s incursions in Ladakh, Delhi must guard against being overtaken in the war of narratives.
- India ignores Trump offer to mediate, says is in talks with China(Mint) India on Thursday said it was “engaged" with China in efforts to resolve a tense border standoff—a short message that ignored a mediation offer by US president Donald Trump.
- China passes controversial Hong Kong law(TH) It will empower Beijing to draft national security laws for the city; pro-democracy groups slam move.
- Drawing closer in crises(IE) - India-Africa India could also create a new fund for Africa and adapt its grant-in-aid assistance to reflect the current priorities. This could include support for new investment projects by Indian entrepreneurs especially in the pharmaceutical and healthcare sectors in Africa.
- India co-opts solar grid to fend off OBOR’s shadow(Mint) India has invited bids from consultants to make an ambitious cross-border power grid plan that would seek to transfer solar power generated in one region to feed the electricity demands of others.
- INTERNATIONAL DAY OF UN PEACEKEEPERS 2020 2020 Theme: Women in Peacekeeping: A Key to Peace
- ADB, India sign $177 million loan for state road improvements in Maharashtra(PIB) ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. Established in 1966, it is owned by 68 members—49 from the region.
- FDI rises 13% to $50 bn, highest flow into services(TH) Singapore is top source nation in FY20
- Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman chairs 22nd Meeting of the Financial Stability and Development Council (FSDC)(PIB) The Council noted that the COVID-19 Pandemic crisis poses a serious threat to the stability of the global financial system as the ultimate impact of the crisis and the timing of recovery, is uncertain at this point of time.
GS3: Science and Technology
- Explained: What we know of the largest electric powered flight expected today(IE) Yet, despite the promise shown by short-range electric flights, several more years of development is expected for powering long-distance journeys. A major obstacle in this process is battery technology, with the weight of the battery being a major challenge.