- Incorporating limits Speech is free, but it is a freedom that comes with responsibility. And responsible speech is not just something that does not contain abuse, defamation or incitement to violence.
- Government was cautioned by SC on privacyA 2019 Supreme Court order, used by the government to justify its new Information Technology (IT) Rules, which compel encrypted social media messaging platforms to disclose their users’ identity, also cautions the Centre from doing anything which amounts to invasion of individual privacy.
- Nine-pin bowling aimed at free speech, privacy By and large, the Information Technology Rules, 2021 go against landmark judicial precedents upholding key rights
- SeHAT OPD portal Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh launched ‘Services e-Health Assistance & Tele-consultation (SeHAT) OPD portal through video conferencing on May 27, 2021. The portal provides tele-medicine services to the serving Armed Forces personnel, veterans and their families.
GS2: Regulatory bodies
- IBF to cover streaming platforms The Indian Broadcasting Foundation (IBF), the apex body of broadcasters, is expanding its purview to cover digital streaming platforms and will be renamed the Indian Broadcasting and Digital Foundation (IBDF).
GS2: International developments
- HK changes electoral law. Reduces direct public vote HONG KONG: Hong Kong's legislature on Thursday passed a bill amending electoral laws that drastically reduces the public's ability to vote and increases the number of pro-Beijing lawmakers making decisions for the city.
- RBI balance sheet grew 7% in 9 months to March The size of the Reserve Bank’s balance sheet, which is reflective of activities carried out by it in pursuance of currency issue function as well as monetary policy and reserve management, has increased by 6.99% to ₹57,07,669.13 crore during the nine-month period ended March 31.
- Making sense of IPO rush In recent months, a number of companies have submitted proposals for initial public offerings. The surge comes on the back of a strengthening market. What should you be cautious about before investing?