GS2: International Relations
- India-Sri Lanka Summit | Mahinda Rajapaksa statement on talks with Narendra Modi silent on 13th Amendment While outlining the talking points, the Sri Lankan Prime Minister’s statement made no mention of justice and post-war reconciliation.
- India, Japan navies match skills in northern Arabian Sea(TH) The 4th edition of the biennial India and Japan naval exercise JIMEX-20 is under way in the North Arabian Sea, the Navy said.
- More than one lakh nutrition related activities undertaken by Nehru Yuva Kendras so far during Rashtriya Poshan Maah under POSHAN Abhiyaan(IE) September month is celebrated as Rashtriya Poshan Maah each year under POSHAN Abhiyaan (PM’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nourishment), which was launched in 2018. Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports has undertaken several activities during Poshan Maah started from 1st September 2020. PoshanMaah aims to create mobilization across the country for improving Nutrition Indicators.
- Growth compulsions, ﬁscal arithmetic(TH) What is most surprising in the Q1 data is that the sector ‘Public Administration, Defence and other Services’ contracted at (-) 10.3%. This means that there was no fiscal stimulus. Independent estimates show that States’ capital spending fell by 43.5%. The worsening of the fiscal deficit appears to be because of decline in revenue than increase in expenditure.
- Salutary lesson(TH) Add to the mix the substantial sum of money it owes the government in the form of adjusted gross revenue dues and the future fund requirements of a rapidly technologically evolving and highly capital intensive industry, Vodafone’s wariness to commit more equity to the Indian venture becomes understandable
- Invisible killer threatens country’s sandalwood forests(TH) The devastating impact in natural habitats resulted in sandalwood being classified as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature in 1998.
GS3: Agriculture related issues
- THE RIGHT REDRESS(IE) Once the MSP becomes a “right”, the government is duty-bound to enforce it. In this case, successful enforcement would mean not just distorting, but supplanting the market.