GS1: Modern /Post Independence History
- PM pays tributes to Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru on his death anniversary "Tributes to our first PM, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru Ji on his death anniversary", the Prime Minister said.
- Explained: Why the present heatwave in North India is unusual(IE)All the moisture, that was otherwise built during the thunderstorm and rainfall, got gradually depleted from over vast areas as the storm advanced towards West Bengal and Bangladesh between May 16 and 20. It has now triggered dry north-westerly winds to blow over Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra causing severe heatwave.
- Governor modifies law on forest rights(TH) The notification applies to areas covered in the Panchayats (Extension to Scheduled Areas) Act in the State and allows appeal provision against the DLC’s decision.
GS2/3 : Polity/S&T
- Explained: What making Aarogya Setu open-source means(IE) Open-source software requires no licensing and need not be bought. Its source code is open for everyone to download, examine, redistribute, and improve upon if they can, with an acknowledgment to the original software coder or the company. Examples of such software are WordPress, VLC Media Player, and the Mozilla browser.
- Jury is still out on privacy concerns in Aarogya Setu(Mint) Contact tracing apps such as Aarogya Setu require continuous access to location history and Bluetooth.
GS2: International Relations
- Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman attends Special Board of Governors meeting of New Development Bank through video-conference(PIB)" Within a short span of time, NDB has approved 55 projects of member countries for an amount of $16.6 billion, which is quite a remarkable achievement
- The monetisation question(IE) Monetisation of the deficit does not mean the government is getting free money from the RBI. If one works through the combined balance sheet of the government and the RBI, it will turn out that the government does not get a free lunch, but it does get a heavily subsidised lunch.
GS3: Disaster Management
- The five Ps of disaster management, writes Abhishek Singhvi The Centre is yet to release to Bengal the pending Goods and Services Tax refunds of approx Rs 2,400 crore for last quarter of FY 2019-20 (To be sure, Bengal is not alone in this regard).
GS3: Science and Tech
- Explained: Why do some Covid-19 patients lose their sense of smell?(IE) SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19, hijacks two human proteins to invade cells. One is the ACE2 “receptor” on the cell surface (it opens the door for the virus) while the other is called TMPRSS2, which the virus uses to replicate its genetic material.
- CSIR-IIIM & Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) to develop RT-LAMP based test for Coronavirus(PIB)" COVID-19 RT-LAMP test is a nucleic acid based test carried out from nasal/throat swab sample from patients.