- Explained: What is the Bodoland dispute, and who are the NDFB? (IE) On Sunday, the Centre extended the ban on the Assam-based insurgent group National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) by five more years. Who are the NDFB, and what are its activities?
- Helping 10-year-olds to read by 2030 (TH) India has been successful in increasing access to school, but now the focus must shift to quality
- Steps taken by Govt to ensure quality of education in schools across the country (PIB) Several initiatives are currently being undertaken in this direction, such as in elementary education, the Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education (RTE) Act, 2009 and Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA) programme aims for improvements in school infrastructure,
- Govt. plans to merge Daman & Diu, Dadra & Nagar Haveli (TH) The proposed legislation -- The Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu (Merger of Union Territories) Bill 2019 -- was introduced in the Lok Sabha by Union Minister of State for Home G Kishan Reddy.
- Explained: Amid Maharashtra drama, recalling a landmark SC judgment — S R Bommai (IE)
The historic judgment by the nine-judge Bench in SR Bommai vs Union of India in March 1994 laid down the supremacy of the floor test in determining the support enjoyed by the party in power.
- India’s enduring document of governance (TH) The Constitution’s durability arises from the basic commitment and experience its makers showed even in the 1940s. At 69 and stepping into 70, India’s Constitution is one of
GS2: Social issues
- A majority of Indians don’t have any health insurance, finds survey (Mint) According to the NSO report, 14% of the rural population and 19% of the urban population said they had health expenditure coverage
- 72,045 PHCs don’t have toilet facilities for staff (TH) No separate toilets for men and women patients in 1,15,484
- ‘3.7% food samples unsafe, 15.8% sub-standard’ (TH) Kerala, Tamil Nadu among the best performing States, says FSSAI
- Explained: The methane in coalbeds, and how they can be extracted (IE) The country’s coal and CBM reserves are found in 12 states of India, with the Gondwana sediments of eastern India holding the bulk.
- Climate change pushed Indus Valley migrants west to east: Study (DTE) A new study by the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur (IITKGP) has found new evidence for the popular hypothesis that climate change caused human migration during and after the collapse of the Indus Valley Civilisation (IVC).
- Turtle survival rides on handmade towel in Assam (TH) Activists are banking on the ‘gamosa’, woven with images of endangered turtles, to spread the message
- When 8,000 migratory birds flock to A.P. (TH) Nearly 8,000 migratory birds, including 1,000 Painted Storks arrive, more flocks on their way
- Reserve Bank flags rising bad assets from Mudra loansUnsustainable credit growth in sector could raise risk in the system: M.K. Jain