- Every fourth senior citizen in India rates health as poor: LASI (DTE) Among senior citizens, a higher percentage of women and individuals from rural areas reported poor health, said the first Longitudinal Ageing Study in India published on January 6, 2021.
- Nation Celebrates the National Girl Child Day (PIB) The day is celebrated every year on 24thJanuary. The day is an initiative of the Ministry of Women and Child Development. The objective behind celebrating the National Girl Child Day is to provide all support and opportunities to the girls of the country. It also aims towards promoting awareness about the rights of the girl child and to increase awareness on the importance of girl’s education, and their health and nutrition.
- Billionaires’ wealth rose 35% during lockdown: Oxfam (TH) Mukesh Ambani earned ₹90 cr. an hour during pandemic when around 24% of people in India were earning under ₹3,000 a month, it says.
- Explained: In Bombay HC verdict on sexual assault, the issue of mandatory minimum sentencing (IE) The Bombay HC has acquitted a man of sexual assault charges under the POCSO Act for groping a child, and instead convicted him under the IPC for a lesser offence. What is this case about?
International Relations: GS2
- Explained Ideas: What is The GreatReset and why is it controversial(IE)" The Great Reset is an initiative by the World Economic Forum. It has set off furious conspiracy theories on the right and contemptuous dismissal from the left.
- Explained: How CSR expenditure rules have changed for Indian companies (IE) The Corporate Affairs Ministry has amended the rules for Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) expenditure by Indian companies. Here are some of the key changes
- Explained: Why govt borrows off-budget, and how (IE) One of the ways to do this is by resorting to “off-budget borrowings”. Such borrowings are a way for the Centre to finance its expenditures while keeping the debt off the books — so that it is not counted in the calculation of fiscal deficit.
- ‘Green’ tax mooted for personal vehicles older than 15 years (TH) May vary on type of fuel, vehicle; transport vehicles older than 8 years to pay levy
- "Five African countries among top 10 affected by extreme weather in 2019: Germanwatch (DTE); The index also ranked India as the country that suffered the second-highest monetary loss due to climate change in 2019 after Japan. The index was released ahead of the climate adaptation summit that began virtually January 25 and is hosted by the Netherlands.
Internal Security: GS3
- Joint Military Exercise in Andaman Sea (PIB) A large-scale tri-service joint amphibious exercise AMPHEX – 21 was conducted in Andaman & Nicobar group of islands from 21 – 25 Jan 2021. The exercise involved participation of Naval ships, amphibious troops of the Army and different types of aircraft from the Air force.