- Newly identified tectonically active zone in Himalayas could alter earthquake study & predictions(PIB) The suture zone of the Himalayas or the Indus Suture Zone (ISZ) in the Ladakh region where Indian and Asian Plates are joined has been found to be tectonically active, as against current understanding that it is a locked zone.This could have major implications in terms of earthquake study, prediction, understanding the seismic structure of the mountain chains well as its evolution.
GS1: Social Issues
- Women at the heart of recovery(TH) India has an opportunity to build climate resilience and address gender equality issues
GS2: International Relations
- "India to sign geo-spatial cooperation deal with U.S.(TH); Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh holds bilateral delegation level meeting with his US counterpart Mark Esper; Both aides to sign agreement of BECA during the visit (PIB)" Dr. Mark T. Esper, Hon’ble Secretary of Defence of the United States of America is visiting India for the 2+2 Ministerial Meeting. Today Shri Rajnath Singh, Hon’ble Raksha Mantri had a bilateral meeting with him in South Block, New Delhi. The two ministers reviewed bilateral defence cooperation spanning military to military cooperation, secure communication systems and information sharing, defence trade and industrial issues and also discussed ways to take bilateral cooperation forward.
- Contesting neighbours, revised geopolitical playbooks(TH) The engagement by India and China in the West Asia region is a good example of their metamorphosing approaches
- 50 years of international aid: World’s richest countries owe $5.7 trillion debt to poor, says OXFAM (DTE) The aid that poor countries lost as a result of donor countries’ inaction is an immeasurable debt that could have brought great changes to humanity, according to the report.
- Centre promises law to check stubble burning; SC keeps Lokur committee’s appointment in abeyance(TH) The Delhi NCR already has a Graded Response Action Plan, which is overseen by the Environment Pollution Authority, that has specified a number of measures that governments must take — from banning diesel gensets to restricting vehicle movement — depending on the degree of pollution.
- The many lessons from COVID-19(TH) The global pandemic is marching on. As I had said at the JRD Tata Oration, hosted by the Population Foundation of India on its 50th anniversary.
- "AIM Launches India–Australia Circular Economy Hackathon(I-ACE), with Australia’s Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)(PIB)" (Atal Innovation Mission), in association with CSIRO, is organizing a two-day hackathon on circular economy, ‘India–Australia Circular Economy Hackathon (I-ACE)’, on 7 and 8 December.