- Article 356 and an activist judiciary (TH) invoking article 356 for bringing the state under President's rule while keeping the legislative assembly under suspended animation as ruled in the Bommai case.
GS2: International Relations
- ‘Biden will be more effective on China, has said he will bring allies for common approach’ (IE) What can India expect in its relationship with the US under the Biden Administration? Former Indian Ambassador to Washington DC Arun Singh, who interacted with many Obama-Biden team members who are now in the Biden-Harris team, discussed key issues with a nationwide audience
- Reading the new US policy on Tibet: snubs to China on Dalai Lama, rivers (IE) The Tibet Policy and Support Act, passed by the US Senate earlier this week, bookends a turbulent year in US-China relations. The House of Representatives had passed the legislation in January. It will become law after the US President signs off on it.
- ‘Independent directors not really independent’ (TH) A significant percentage of individual shareholders believe the constitution of the board of directors of most Indian companies is tilted towards promoters
- Cairn wins arbitration ruling against India in tax dispute: What is the case? (IE); Learning to let go (TH) In 2011, Cairn Energy sold majority of its India business, Cairn India, to mining conglomerate Vedanta. Cairn UK was however not allowed to sell a minor stake of about 10 per cent by the income tax authorities. Authorities had also siezed Cairn India shares as well as dividends that the company paid to its parent UK firm.
GS3: Science and Tech
- First set of data from Chandrayaan-2 released: ISRO (TH) The Indian Space Science Data Centre (ISSDC) is the nodal centre of planetary data archive for the planetary missions of ISRO.