- More flash droughts in India by end of century (TH) Atmospheric anomalies, anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions play a role
- "Mock trials of remote voting project soon: CEC Remote voting, or allowing a voter to cast her franchise from any polling station in the country and .
- 11th National Voters’ Day (NVD) to be celebrated on 25th January 2021 (PIB)" The National Voters’ Day has been celebrated on January 25 every year since 2011, all across the country to mark the foundation day of Election Commission of India, i.e. 25th January 1950. The main purpose of the NVD celebration is to encourage, facilitate and maximize enrolment, especially for the new voters. Dedicated to the voters of the country, the day is utilized to spread awareness among voters and for promoting informed participation in the electoral process. New voters are felicitated and handed over their Elector Photo Identity Card (EPIC) in the NVD functions.
- Nation Celebrates the National Girl Child Day (PIB) Nation celebrated the National Girl Child Day today. The day is celebrated every year on 24thJanuary. The day is an initiative of the Ministry of Women and Child Development. The objective behind celebrating the National Girl Child Day is to provide all support and opportunities to the girls of the country. It also aims towards promoting awareness about the rights of the girl child and to increase awareness on the importance of girl’s education, and their health and nutrition.
- A big push for education (TH) The pandemic gives us a chance to make education systems more inclusive, flexible, and resilient
- Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme Increases Awareness and Sensitize the Masses on Gender Equality (PIB) The Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) Scheme, launched by the Hon’ble Prime Minister on 22nd January, 2015 at Panipat in Haryanawith the objective of bringing behavioural change in the society towards birth and rights of a girl child, has resulted in increased awareness and sensitization of the masses regarding prevalence of gender bias and role of community in eradicating it. During the last 6 years the Sex Ratio at Birth (SRB) has improved by 16 points from 918 in 2014-15 to 934 in 2019-20. Gross Enrolment Ratio of girls in the schools at secondary level has improved from 77.45 to 81.32.
International Relations: GS2
- UN rights body calls for release of Bhima Koregaon activists (TH) Several prominent activists remain in custody even as the case is being investigated
- Telcos seek clarity on onus of security breach post NSD rollout (TH) They urge Centre to ensure price competitiveness if Chinese gear is barred.
- Explained: How decriminalisation of offences under LLP Act could help unclog judicial system (IE)
- Sunderbans is home to 428 species of birds, says ZSI (TH) While some species are found only in the unique ecosystem, one in three species have been recorded in the region