- Explained: Why has the Northeast monsoon remained subdued this year? (IE) Rainfall over the Southern peninsular region has been deficient so far. The reason is a prevalent La Niña condition, along with a low pressure belt that is currently lying to the north of its normal position.
- With land rights, but no land (TH) Many Adivasi families are unlikely to benefit from the implementation of the Forest Rights Act in J&K
- Poshan Abhiyaan needs a boost: study (TH) India is unlikely to meet targets set under the ambitious Poshan Abhiyaan or National Nutrition Mission (NNM) for reduction in prevalence of stunting and other targets.
- Corporates as banks: What led to this recommendation, and why has it come in for criticism? (IE)The banking system in any country is of critical importance for sustaining economic growth. India’s banking system has changed a lot since Independence when banks were owned by the private sector, resulting in a “large concentration of resources in the hands of a few business families”.
- Explained: What are desalination plants and what is their feasibility? (IE) A desalination plant turns salt water into water that is fit to drink. The most commonly used technology used for the process is reverse osmosis where an external pressure is applied to push solvents from an area of high-solute concentration to an area of low-solute concentration through a membrane.
GS3: Disaster Management
- National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) fully prepared for Cyclonic Storm "NIVAR" (PIB) Cyclonic Storm "NIVAR" is centred about 380 km East-Southeast of Puducherry and 430 km Southeast of Chennai. Cyclone "NIVAR" is very likely to intensify further into a severe cyclonic storm during the next 12 hours and is very likely to cross Tamil Nadu and Puducherry coasts between Karaikal and Mamallapuram around Puducherry during late evening of 25th November, as a severe cyclonic storm, with a wind speed of 100-110 kmph gusting to 120 kmph.
"PM to inaugurate RE-Invest 2020 on 26 November (PIB) - Also cover a brief about status of renewable energy in India" Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi will inaugurate the virtual 3rd Global Renewable Energy Investment Meeting and Expo (RE-Invest 2020), on 26 November 2020 at 5:30 PM. The summit is organised by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy and will be held from 26 – 28 November 2020.