- Judicial indiscipline(TH) And the 1992 judgment, while upholding the validity of the Tenth Schedule to the Constitution, the anti-defection law, also declared that Para 2 — a part of which is now under challenge and is the ostensible reason for the High Court to entertain the petition — does not violate the freedom of speech, vote or conscience of elected members.
- Case for presidential system(IE) In the absence of a real party system, the voter chooses not between parties but between individuals, usually on the basis of their caste, their public image or other personal qualities. But since the individual is elected in order to be part of a majority that will form the government, party affiliations matter.It is a perversity only the British could have devised — to vote for a legislature not to legislate but in order to form the executive.
GS2: International Relations
- RBI signs $400 mn currency swap facility for Sri Lanka(TH) Currency swaps are used to obtain foreign currency loans at a better interest rate than could be got by borrowing directly in a foreign market.
- DST launches INR 15 Crore fund to support India-Russia collaboration joint R&D and cross-country technology adaptation(PIB) “India has one of the largest startup ecosystems in the world, the number of unicorns is testament to the tremendous talent the country possesses. S&T-led innovation and entrepreneurship are priorities of both countries and will be a key point on the agenda as President Putin visits India later this year. There is a history of scientific cooperation between the countries, and with this initiative; we take the next step of commercialization.”
GS3: Science & Technology
- Explained: What exactly is herd immunity(IE) The serological survey was meant to detect whether the person being tested had developed antibodies against the coronavirus. The antibodies are proteins produced by the immune system to fight external organisms like viruses that try to enter the body. These are produced only after the infection has happened, and are specific to the attacking virus or bacterium.
- Tianwen-1 Explained: What China’s Mars mission is about (IE), and how it signals space race with US Space exploration has been dominated by the US and Russia for more than 50 years. China joining (the Mars race) will change the situation dominated by the US for half a century.
- NPAs may soar to 20-yr high: RBI(Mint) The rise in bad loans may further reduce the ability of banks, especially the weak ones, to extend credit, and the government may have to infuse more funds into state-run banks to build stronger buffers that can absorb loan losses.