- DNA Bill can be misused, flags draft report; Parliamentary panel calls DNA Bill premature(TH) The Bill proposes to store DNA profiles of suspects, undertrials, victims and their relatives for future investigations. “While there is a good case for a DNA database of convicts, so that repeat offenders may be easily identified, there is no legal or moral justification for a database with DNA of the other categories as noted above, given the high potential for misuse,” the report has noted.
- Explained: Why the UDF moved no confidence against Kerala govt(IE) This time, the UDF, through the no-confidence motion, intended to pile political pressure on the Vijayan government by raising a host of issues, such as the gold smuggling racket, allegations of corruption in the state government’s flagship housing scheme ‘Life Mission’ and the deteriorating Covid-19 crisis in the state.
- Central Government constitutes National Council for Transgender Persons(PIB) In exercise of the powers conferred by section 16 of the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act, 2019 (40 of 2019), the Central Government has constituted a National Council for Transgender Persons vide notification dated 21st August, 2020. The Union Minister of Social Justice & Empowerment will be Chairperson (ex-officio) and Union Minister of State for Social Justice & Empowerment will be Vice-Chairperson (ex-officio).
- India does need a Fiscal Council(TH) Besides large deficits and debt, there are questions of comprehensiveness, transparency and accountability in the Budgets. The practice of repeated postponement of targets, timely non-settlement of bill payments and off Budget financing to show lower deficits has been common.
- The challenge of catching elusive taxpayers(TH) A 2016 report says the top 10% of Indians earned 55% of the nation’s incomes. If these people could be brought under the income tax net and they paid their taxes honestly, at current tax rates, income tax to GDP ratio alone would have been about 18%
- India’s inflation targeting raises tough questions(Mint) The real rate is repo rate minus inflation.A neutral real rate is the rate of interest at which the monetary policy is neither accommodative nor too tight. The neutral real rate concept is important and significant for inflation targeting. If inflation is higher than the target, we should have a higher real rate than the neutral real rate and vice versa.
GS3: Science & Technology
"ARIES astronomers trace the mystery behind dwarf galaxy aberrations of massive star formation(PIB)" While most of these tiny tots called dwarf galaxies form stars at a much slower rate than the massive ones, some dwarf galaxies are seen forming new stars at a mass-normalized rate 10-100 times more than that of the Milky-way galaxy.