- More evidence of India’s food insecurity(TH) Both of these are globally-accepted indicators of progress towards the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Target 2.1 to end hunger and food insecurity. While PoU is focused on estimating the proportion of population facing chronic deficiency of calories, the PMSFI is a more comprehensive measure of the lack of access to adequate and nutritious food.
- "Indore Creates Record by Winning Title of Cleanest City Fourth Time in A Row(PIB); While Indore won the coveted title of the Cleanest City of India, Surat and Navi Mumbai won the second and third position respectively (in the > 1 lakh population category). Chhattisgarh won the prestigious title of the Cleanest State of India in the > 100 ULB category while Jharkhand was adjudged the Cleanest State of India in the <100>
- Indore wins cleanest city title again(TH) The goal of the second phase would be take targets further, than making cities open defecation-free, to also include 100% sludge management and zero dumping of waste in the open.
GS2: International Relations
- Thinking through the Nepal policy(TH) The Treaty of Sugauli of 1816 sets the Kali river as the boundary between the two countries in the western sector. There was no map attached to the treaty. Nepal is now claiming that the main tributary of the Kalapani river rises east of the Lipu Lekh pass from the Limpiyadhura ridgeline and hence should serve as the border.
- Remembering Arun Jaitley(IE) On the executive side, the government could recognise that the power and real estate sectors are sui generis, and cannot be handled through the IBC. Instead, bad banks should be established to resolve these debts.They should now be seen as complements, not substitutes as they were earlier.
- A large chunk of new deposits find haven in G-Secs(Mint) Banks need to invest a certain proportion of their demand, time deposits in government securities (G-Secs) and other approved securities before offering credit. The SLR was at a high of 38.5% in the early 1990s. This was when banks in the country were government-owned. Since then, the SLR has been gradually brought down and now stands at 18%.
- Needed: A new relationship contract between RBI and govt(Mint) Chandavarkar had advocated a high-powered commission to help legislate a ‘constitutionally independent federal’ RBI.
- "Aarogya Setu introduces ‘Open API Service’, a novel feature to help the people, businesses and the economy to return to normalcy(PIB)" The Aarogya Setu ITIHAS interface which uses location data and Aarogya Setu analytics to predict emerging hotspots at Sub Pincode levels has been very effective in helping the health officials and administration to take necessary precautionary steps. More than 30,000 hotspots have been identified at a very granular level of 300 m X 300 m and shared with State Governments and Districts.