- Explained: Why the protests against Bru resettlement in Tripura have flared up now (IE) The Bru or Reang are a community indigenous to Northeast India, living mostly in Tripura, Mizoram, and Assam. In Tripura, they are recognised as a Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Group (PVTG).
- Explained: As Kerala brings new gag law, recalling SC rap on another 5 years ago (IE) Internet Freedom Foundation on Sunday tweeted that the amendment was “a replicant of the unconstitutional Section 66A” and said it criminalises the online speech by users “under vague expressions and is liable to subjective and arbitrary application. This poses a real threat to freedom of speech and expression”.
GS2: International Relations
- 132 countries attend global meet on criminal finance (TH) Representatives discuss cross-sector solutions against the criminal use of cryptocurrencies
- PM for integrated fight against climate change (TH); Climate change must be fought not in silos but in an integrated, comprehensive and holistic way, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said at a G20 event
- Indian Navy to Host Exercise SIMBEX-20 in Andaman Sea (PIB) The SIMBEX series of exercises between IN and Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN), being conducted annually since 1994, are aimed at enhancing mutual inter-operability and imbibing best practices from each other. The scope and complexity of these exercises has increased steadily over the past two decades to include advanced naval drills covering a wide spectrum of maritime operations.
- Moratorium on banks (TH) The story so far: On November 17, the Centre, acting on the recommendation of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), imposed a moratorium on Lakshmi Vilas Bank.
GS3: Internal Security
- Parliamentary panel bats for laws to counter bioterrorism (TH) Low testing, poor contact tracing responsible for spike in COVID-19 cases, says report by Parliamentary Standing Committee on Health.
GS3: Science and Tech
- India set to launch deep sea mission (TH) The mission, which is expected to cost over ₹4,000 crore, will give a boost to efforts to explore India’s vast Exclusive Economic Zone and Continental Shelf, he said.
- Explained: What is the Sentinel-6 satellite, and why is it important? (IE) The mission, called the Jason Continuity of Service (Jason-CS) mission, is designed to measure the height of the ocean, which is a key component in understanding how the Earth’s climate is changing. The spacecraft consists of two satellites, one of them launched on Saturday, and the other, called Sentinel-6B, to be launched in 2025.
- Explained: The regional navigation satellite system or IRNSS that India is the fourth nation to have (IE) The IRNSS is an independent regional navigation satellite system developed by India. It is designed to provide accurate position information service to assist in the navigation of ships in the Indian Ocean waters. It could replace the US-owned Global Positioning System (GPS) in the Indian Ocean extending up to approximately 1500 km from the Indian boundary.
- A successful solution to the ‘slash and burn’ problem (TH) Field trials of the Pusa decomposer in Delhi, Haryana region show promise