- RBI announces nine additional measures for strengthening the Economy(PIB) The repo rate has been reduced by 40 basis points from 4.4% to 4.0%. The Marginal Standing Facility rate and the Bank rate have been reduced from 4.65% to 4.25%. The reverse repo rate has been reduced from 3.75% to 3.35%.
- Explained: Impact of RBI’s decisions to slash repo rate, extend loan moratorium on corporates, consumers(IE) EMIs on home, auto, personal and term loan rates are expected to come down in the coming days.
- Time after time(TH) The RBI might have played out its hand for now with the latest repo rate cut
- Easy going(IE) The question now is: Will monetary easing help? Or is it losing its effectiveness?
- India will share its best practices and experiences in conserving biodiversity with the rest of the world: Union Environment Minister(PIB) In a virtual celebration of the International Day for Biological Diversity 2020, Union Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Shri Prakash Javadekar today launched five key initiatives towards conservation of biodiversity.
GS3: Science & Tech
- Certifying Quantum Entanglement: A step towards Quantum Security(PIB) Scientists from S. N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences (SNBNCBS), Kolkata, an autonomous institute of the Department of Science and Technology have developed a novel protocol to find out whether a pair of electrons is in an entangled state so that they can be safely used as resources for facilitating quantum information processing tasks. The protocol has been developed through theoretical and experimental analysis.
GS2: International Relations
- Lower the temperature, defuse the issue(TH) The border trouble between India and Nepal is a matter best handled bilaterally, through quiet diplomacy
- Cold neighbourhood(TH) India and Nepal must not let their differences grow into a full-blown diplomatic crisis
- New Nepal map based on historic documents’(TH) Nepal’s new official map is based on historic documents dating back to the early 19th century and cannot be termed artificial, a top official in Kathmandu has said.
- Arrest the slide(IE) Nepal’s claim over Kalapani is not new. It came up before this most recently when India published a new map in November 2019 to show the August 5 bifurcation of Jammu & Kashmir.
- Notes on a digital currency plan, made in China(TH) The expansion of the central bank’s pilot is the first such serious initiative in the world
- Will exit Open Skies Treaty, announces U.S.(TH) The Trump administration has announced it is pulling the US out of an 18-year-old treaty of more than 30 nations that permits unarmed observation flights over each other's territory.
- Simply Put: WHO response, under review(IE) World Health Assembly has resolved to review WHO response to Covid, and for failing to question China. What is it that WHO could have done, and where do various countries including India stand on this?
- Explained: What does the increase in Chinese transgressions mean? The fact that Indian and Chinese soldiers are in an eyeball to eyeball situation at two places in Ladakh, with strong statements coming from both sides, can’t be construed as a very happy situation.