- Puri Jagannath Rath Yatra gets conditional nod(TH) The court directed that 500 people who have cleared the COVID-19 test would be allowed to pull each chariot. Chariot-pullers should maintain physical distancing. There should be a one-hour gap between two chariots.
GS1: Modern History
- Explained: Variyamkunnath Kunjahammed Haji, the Khilafat leader who declared an independent state(IE) The legend of Variyamkunnath Kunjahammed Haji, the brave freedom fighter who stood up to the British in Kerala’s Malabar region in early 20th century and even established a short-lived regime of his own, is all set to be portrayed on the silver screen
- Model village scheme hit by lack of interest, funds: ministry study(IE) Convergence of MGNREGS with MPLAD has been done in SAGY village Tilkoja of Korba district (in Chhattisgarh) whereas lesser convergence was observed in the Chapka village of Bastar district.
- Transparency during a crisis(TH) Right to Information (RTI) applications seeking information pertaining to the PM CARES Fund have been stonewalled. No information exists on the official website of the Fund regarding the amount collected, names of donors, expenditure incurred, or details of beneficiaries.
GS2: International Relations
- China to join UN arms trade treaty(TH) The Communist Party leadership’s top legislative body voted on Saturday to adopt a decision on joining the UN Arms Trade Treaty that is designed to control the flow of weapons into conflict zones.
- Japan to rename islands disputed with China(TH) The local assembly of Ishigaki city approved a plan to change the name of the area covering the Tokyo-controlled Senkaku Islands — known by Taiwan and China as the Diaoyus — from “Tonoshiro” to “Tonoshiro Senkaku
GS3: Internal Security
- Explained: Why high-altitude warfare is challenging, how soldiers are trained(IE) Generally, India is considered a hub of mountain warfare skills since most of the country’s north and northeast requires such skills. Ladakh Scouts are considered the best in this kind of warfare. Mountain chop, a tactic involved in such warfare, evolved in India where the mountainous terrain is very difficult to scale.
- Explained: The biggest LIC IPO that govt is set to launch(IE) In the Budget 2020-21, the finance ministry had announced plans for IPO of LIC and a proposal to sell the government’s equity in the stressed IDBI Bank to private, retail and institutional investors through the stock exchange.
- Industries seek relief on the use of groundwater(Mint) The policy vacuum triggered by a National Green Tribunal (NGT) order on the use of groundwater has impacted businesses across sectors.
GS3: Science & Tech
- Study of optical properties of supermassive black-hole can provide clue to emission mechanism from its close vicinity.(PIB) A blazar is a feeding super-massive black-hole (SMBH) in the heart of a distant galaxy that produces a high-energy jet viewed face-on from Earth. Blazars are one of the most luminous and energetic objects in the known universe with a jet composed of ionized matter traveling at nearly the speed of light directed very nearly towards an observer.
- Scientists detect ionospheric irregularities during major space weather events that influence communication & navigation systems.(PIB) The Earth's magnetic field lines are nearly horizontal over magnetic equator due to which equatorial ionosphere is a bed for a variety of plasma instabilities to cause plasma disturbances and plasma irregularities.
- Decarbonising Transport: International Project to Develop Pathway to Low-CO2 Mobility for India.(PIB) The India project is carried out in the wider context of the International Transport Forum’s “Decarbonising Transport” initiative. It is part of the “Decarbonising Transport in Emerging Economies” (DTEE) family of projects, which supports transport decarbonisation across different world regions. India, Argentina, Azerbaijan, and Morocco are current participants.
- DRI busts syndicate smuggling exotic macaws from Bangladesh(TH) “The seized macaws are protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES), with hyacinth macaw being accorded the highest protection,”