- Set up a High Court for Puducherry(TH) In the All India Judges Association And Others vs Union Of India (Uoi) And Ors., the Supreme Court observed that the “time has now come for protecting one of the pillars of the Constitution, namely, the judicial system, by directing increase, in the first instance, in the Judge strength from the existing ratio of 10.5 or 13 per 10 lakhs people to 50 Judges for 10 lakh people”. This was also discussed in the Law Commission of India Report titled ‘Arrears and Backlog: Creating Additional Judicial (wo)manpower’, in 2014.
- Are people in J&K citizens or subjects?(TH) The Court no doubt held that the ability to access the web had an instrumental bearing on a number of other fundamental rights, including the rights to free speech and freedom of business; and that therefore any limitation placed on the web must be necessary and proportionate to the goal that the State seeks to achieve.
- SC issues notice to lawyer Prashant Bhushan over tweets(TH) The Supreme Court on Wednesday initiated suo motu contempt proceedings against noted civil rights lawyer Prashant Bhushan, saying his tweets on its “role” in the “last six years” and a photograph of Chief Justice of India Sharad A. Bobde on a motorbike undermines its dignity and the office of the Chief Justice of India (CJI) in the public eye.
- 24% RS members face criminal cases(TH) Association for Democratic Reforms analysis finds that 89% have declared assets estimated at over ₹1 crore.
- Cheating the floor test(IE) Constitutional transgressions by MLAs, after having come through a “party platform” to serve the people for five years (Article 172), cannot be countenanced. In so doing, these MLAs forget the oath, taken under Article 188 of the Constitution read with Form VII B of the Third Schedule.
GS2: International Relations
- In a bid to boost ties, India opens new trade routes with neighbours(Mint) Responding to a request from the Royal Government of Bhutan, New Delhi opened a new trade route under the Jaigaon Land Customs Station last week. The new trade route is through Ahllay near Pasakha in southeastern Bhutan
- There are various ways for India to take trade action against China(Mint) If a Chinese product is exported at lower than “normal value", dumping occurs. The normal value can be determined as: a) the domestic cost of production in China plus a mark-up; b) the product’s price in China’s domestic market; c) its export price in a third country.
- PM delivers keynote address at India Ideas Summit(PIB) Noting that the healthcare sector in India is growing faster than 22% every year and the progress of Indian companies in production of medical-technology, tele-medicine and diagnostics, he said that now is the best time to expand investment in Indian healthcare sector.
GS2: Social Justice
- Triple Talaq- Big Reform, Better Result(PIB) The month of August is recognised as a “Month of Revolution, Rights & Reforms” in the Indian history; 08th August Quit India Movement, 15th August Independence Day, 19th August “World Humanitarian Day”, 20th August “Sadbhavana Diwas”, 370 was abolished on 5th August, these days have been written in golden pages of the Indian History.
- Explained: The significance of Kakrapar-3(IE) This is a landmark event in India’s domestic civilian nuclear programme given that KAPP-3 is the country’s first 700 MWe (megawatt electric) unit, and the biggest indigenously developed variant of the Pressurised Heavy Water Reactor (PHWR).The PHWRs, which use natural uranium as fuel and heavy water as moderator, are the mainstay of India’s nuclear reactor fleet.
- Explained: How lower mop-up has translated into delayed GST compensation(IE) Compensation to States shall be paid for 5 years in full within the stipulated period of 5 years and, in case the amount in the GST Compensation Fund fell short of the compensation payable in any bimonthly period, the GST Council shall decide the mode of raising additional resources including borrowing from the market which could be repaid by collection of cess in the sixth year or further subsequent years.
GS3: Science & Technology
- Have a Glimpse of Comet NEOWISE Before it Disappears(PIB) ‘Comet Neowise’ was first spotted by NASA's spacecraft mission Near-Earth Object Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (NEOWISE) on 27 March 2020 and hence the name NEOWISE.