- State can’t use criminal defamation cases to throttle democracy: Madras HC(IE) It said that criminal defamation procedures can be invoked only in cases where there is foolproof material and when launching of prosecution under Section 199(2) CrPC is inevitable
- Justice more compassionate(IE) The Karnataka Government had argued — though unsuccessfully — that the high court cannot intervene because the Supreme Court, when directly approached under Article 32, had refused to intervene on the issue of migrants walking home due to the lack of transport arrangements.
- 1 Crore Treatments Provided Under Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan ArogyaYojana(PIB)" It is providing affordable healthcare in the form of tertiary hospital treatment to poor and vulnerable Indians through a health cover of Rs. 5 lakh per family per year.
GS2: International Relations
- Keeping the peace(TH) With four incidents along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in recent weeks, the India-China border is witnessing the highest tensions since the Doklam stand-off in 2017.
- India rejects Chinese charge of incursion by troops across LAC(Mint) India also reiterated its support for the “freedom of navigation and over flight and unimpeded lawful commerce" in the South China Sea and called for “any differences (to) be resolved peacefully by respecting the legal and diplomatic processes and without resorting to threat or use of force".
- Dr Harsh Vardhan to take charge as WHO Executive Board chairman: what this means for India(IE) India is a member state of the South East Asia Region at the WHO. Last year, the bloc had unanimously decided that India’s nominee would be elected to the executive board for a three-year term beginning May.
- Bad bank to take on NPAs? It isn’t all fair & square(Mint) In a free market, the markets price it right. By forcing the government, in its capacity as the owner of multiple banks, to set up a bad bank and buy distressed assets at “book value" is setting up a way to build opaqueness in its dealing with bad loans
- States express desire to expedite early notification of the Ecologically SensitiveArea of Western Ghats.(PIB) To conserve and protect the bio diversity of Western Ghats while allowing for sustainable and inclusive development of the region, Government of India had constituted a High Level Working Group under the Chairmanship of Dr. Kasturirangan.
GS3: Science & Tech
- Explained: What is the sonic boom that rattled Bengaluru?(IE) As long as the source of the sound moves slower than the speed of sound itself, this source – say a truck or a plane – remains nested within the sound waves travelling in all directions. When an aircraft travels at supersonic speed – meaning faster than sound – the field of sound waves moves to the rear of the craft.
- Explained: What is the SpaceX Demo-2 mission, set to launch next week? The Demo-2 mission is part of NASA’s Commercial Crew Program, and will see astronauts Robert Behnken and Douglas Hurley fly on SpaceX’s Crew Dragon spacecraft. The craft will lift off from a Falcon 9 rocket, from Florida.
- Alternative dwarfing genes in wheat can eliminate rice crop residue burning(PIB) These DNA based markers are being used at ARI for marker-assisted transfer of these genes in Indian wheat varieties, so as to make them suitable for sowing under rice stubble-retained conditions and dry environments.
- RNA extraction kit Agappe Chitra Magna launched commercially for detection of COVID 19(PIB) It uses an innovative technology for isolating RNA using magnetic nanoparticles to capture the RNA from the patient sample. The magnetic nanoparticle beads bind to the viral RNA and, when exposed to a magnetic field, give a highly purified and concentrated RNA.