- Solstice ring of fire solar eclipse, June 21, 2020(PIB) Annular solar eclipse is a particular case of the total solar eclipse. Like the total solar eclipse, the Moon is aligned with the Sun. However, on that day, the apparent size of the Moon happens to be a wee smaller than the Sun. Hence the Moon covers the central part of the Sun, and the rim of the Sun appear like a 'ring of fire' in the sky for a very brief moment.
- Explained: The annular solar eclipse and summer solstice, witnessed on June 20, June 21(IE) Yesterday’s solar eclipse is a rare annular eclipse that occurs once in every one or two years, and coincides with the northern hemisphere’s longest day of the year, called the summer solstice. Like the solar eclipse, a second solstice happens each year in December.
GS1: Women Issues
- Fighting a double pandemic(TH) During the present COVID-19 pandemic, mass school closures are tending to entrench learning gaps between girls and boys, and putting many more girls at risk of sexual exploitation, early pregnancy and early or forced marriage
- How are the Rajya Sabha polls different?(TH) Why is it different from the Lok Sabha poll? What are some of the distinguishing features?
- Members as numbers(TH) The House of the elders is also considered an exalted forum of scholarship and statesmanship. But this majesty has taken a beating due to factors, including but not limited to machinations that go into its making. The steady ingress of celebrities and business tycoons has not made a serious contribution to the Rajya Sabha’s working.
- Secrecy of ballot is key to free and fair elections: SC(TH) The privilege ends when the voter decides to waive the privilege and instead volunteers to disclose as to whom she had voted. No one can prevent a voter from doing. Nor can a complaint be entertained from any, including the person who wants to keep the voter’s mouth sealed as to why she disclosed for whom she voted
- Sec 309 IPC: Questions and issues around an archaic Section of the law Anyone who survives an attempted suicide can be booked under Section 309 IPC, which deals with “Attempt to commit suicide”.
- Union Home Minister Shri Amit Shah chaired a high level meeting where report of Dr. V.K. Paul Committee on containment strategy of COVID-19 in Delhi was presented Contact Tracing and Quarantining of Contacts of all infected persons, with the help of Aarogya Setu and Itihas Aap.
GS2: International Relations
- Explained: What changed in India-Nepal ties? The EU and the US, which had begun to emerge as India’s allies in Nepal’s transition after 2005-06, began supporting radical federalism based on ethnicity, higher autonomy and with the right to self-determination that initially Maoists had backed.
- Explained: Why International Yoga Day is observed on June 21(IE) The United Nations theme for this year is “Yoga for Health - Yoga at Home”, which takes into account the social distancing measures announced by most countries.
- India’s continuing two-front conundrum(TH) Whenever India has forgotten that it has two antagonists and let its guard down, it has paid dearly for it. Conversely, whenever India has accounted for the prospect of a possible threat from both quarters, it has done well. The two obvious examples are the 1962 and 1971 wars.
- China policy lacks perspicacity(TH) These strategic goals include (a) ensuring that India understands that it is not in the same league as China and driving home the lesson by periodic localised assaults across the Line of Actual Control (LAC) if it tries to assume a position of equality
- Additional funds sought for Jal Jeevan Mission(TH) The Ministry also wished to take more direct control of the Commission’s grants to panchayats.
- What does recent NCLAT ruling — liquidation of a firm under IBC holds precedence — mean? the waterfall mechanism under Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code gives priority to secured financial creditors over unsecured financial creditors.
GS3: Science & Tech
- Explained: How a sero survey could help Haryana combat Covid-19 (IE) The survey involves testing of blood serum to detect whether a person is Covid infected and has had any such infections in the past. According to health department officials, the sero survey will be conducted in all districts of the state for a test called ‘Covid Kavach Elisa’. The test will also identify antibodies being produced in the body to combat Covid-19.
- "Study showing stars of varied ages can co-exist in open clusters, provides clue to stellar evolution in the Milky Way Galaxy(PIB)" Stars in our Galaxy are formed from the molecular clouds present in the Galaxy. It is believed that the majority of stars in our Galaxy are formed in the star clusters making them important clues to understand the star formation mechanism. Open star clusters are a system of stars bound by gravity in which stars are born from the same molecular clouds. All the stars in a cluster follow the evolutionary sequence as per their initial masses at the time of formation of these stars.
- Detection of ﬂuorine in hot Extreme Helium Stars solves their evolution mystery(PIB) An extreme helium star or EHe is a low-mass supergiant that is almost devoid of hydrogen, the most common chemical element of the universe. There are 21 of them detected so far in our galaxy.