Daily Important Articles From ‘The Hindu, Indian Express, PIB, Livemint , TimesofIndia’ and other sources
- Unfreedom of Press(Indian Express) - Covers UAPA Booking of photographer under UAPA, FIR on a newspaper report, sends out a chilling message on free speech.
- Dr Harsh Vardhan launches ‘COVID India Seva’, an interactive platform for citizen engagement on COVID-19(PIB) Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare, Dr Harsh Vardhan today launched the COVID India Seva, which provided an interactive platform to establish a direct channel of communication with millions of Indians amid the pandemic.
- Dr. Jitendra Singh commends the yeomen services rendered by Civil Servants in India’s fight against COVID-19 on Civil Services Day(PIB) Union Minister of State for Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions Dr. Jitendra Singh has commended the yeomen services rendered by Civil Servants in India’s fight against COVID-19 to mark the Civil Services Day 2020 here today through a nation-wide interactive video calling with 25 States and 5 UTs.
- WHAT THE ‘DEMO MOMENT’ IN INDIAN HEALTHCARE MEANS(LiveMint) The covid-19 crisis is being seen as a “demo moment" in parts of the Indian healthcare policy circles.
GS2: International relations
- Putting the SAGAR vision to the test(The Hindu) As observer, India could learn from as well as support the Indian Ocean Commission.
- India can come out ahead(Indian Express) Super-power rivalries exacerbated by coronavirus pandemic offer India an opportunity. Government must act at three levels — health, geopolitics and economics.
- Revised Timelines for Sunset Review Investigation for Anti-dumping Duty(PIB) the Directorate General of Trade Remedies (DGTR), Ministry of Commerce and Industry had prescribed the procedure and timelines for initiating an Anti-dumping Sunset Review investigation (SSR) under the Customs Tariff Act 1975 and the Anti-dumping Rules.
- Why are oil prices in negative terrain?(The Hindu), Futures shock(The Hindu) The steep fall in oil prices is not all good news for India
- Explained: Why oil prices fell below zero(Indian Express) On Monday, WTI crude price hit minus $40, which means the seller should pay the buyer. Is that as illogical as it seems? A look at what led to the crash, and what it means for India and the world.
- US oil hits freak negative, but Indian fuel prices may not fall(Indian Express) The Indian basket comprises Sour grade (Oman and Dubai average) and Sweet grade (Brent dated) crude oil in a 76:24 ratio.
- India misses a trick due to lack of oil storage capacity (LiveMint) Even after filling up reserves, govt would have secured only nine days of emergency supplies
- Oil Meltdown Signals Recession(LiveMint) The historic collapse in oil prices accelerated on Tuesday, leaving oil traders reeling, even as the economic pain spread to major producers of the commodity and stocks, threatening to tip the sluggish global economy into a deep recession.
- CBDT sticks with Budget’s tax target(The Hindu) Letter sent to I-T officials last week reiterates personal income tax, corporation tax goals from Feb. budget
- Scrutiny is key to allowing Chinese presence in India(LiveMint) After HDFC Ltd announced that the Chinese central bank had raised its stake in the firm, India tightened rules on Chinese investments in India.
- Priority sector relief for banks under TLTRO 2.0(LiveMint) The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on Tuesday provided priority sector relief to banks investing in papers issued by small and medium-sized non-banking financial companies (NBFCs) and microfinance institutions (MFIs) under the revised targeted long-term repo operations (TLTRO) 2.0.
- Sebi eases fund-raising norms(LiveMint) - Covers IPO FPO OFS Issue Rights Sebi has made it mandatory for companies raising over Rs100 crore via an IPO to appoint a monitoring agency for the share sale
GS3: Science and Tech
- Ill-equipped to deal with a crisis(The Hindu) India has invested very little in the type of science that is needed to meet contemporary environmental challenges.
- Stem cells offer a ray of hope(LiveMint) - Covers stem cell In future, thalassemia will not be able to take lives..
- Message of the Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu on the eve of World Earth Day(PIB) We are marking the 50th anniversary of the World Earth Day at a time when the entire mankind is reeling under an unprecedented health crisis caused by COVID-19 pandemic.