- Govt. increases poll spend ceiling by 10% (TH) The Law Ministry has increased the ceiling on poll expenditure for Assembly and Lok Sabha elections by 10%.
GS2: International Relations
- What’s in India-US defence deals (IE) The Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement largely pertains to geospatial intelligence, and sharing information on maps and satellite images for defence. According to officials, anyone who sails a ship, flies an aircraft, fights wars, locates targets, responds to natural disasters, or even navigates with a cellphone relies on geospatial intelligence.
- "WII scientists anxious about potential funding cut (TH) Govt suggests ‘disengaging’ WII, IIFM, three other premier green institutions (IE)" This is not a Cabinet decision; it is simply a recommendation and an exercise which takes place every couple of years. For statutory bodies like NTCA, it is not even possible to disengage since Project Tiger is such a big project in which NTCA gives funds to states to carry out the work. Being an act of law, these bodies cannot be abolished
- Offset dilution in defence, a flawed policy turn (TH) As an episode in India’s aerospace industry shows, it can succeed if it is designed and executed correctly
GS3: Science & Technology
- The many bright spots on India’s innovation horizon (TH) Recognising the potential, the government is putting in place a framework of collaboration, facilitation and regulation
- How to grow heeng in Indian Himalayas (IE) Ferula asafoetida is a herbaceous plant of the umbelliferae family. It is a perennial plant whose oleo gum resin is extracted from its thick roots and rhizome. The plant stores most of its nutrients inside its deep fleshy roots.