- What mechanism do you have against fake news, SC asks govt. (TH); The Supreme Court on Tuesday asked the Centre to explain its “mechanism” against fake news and bigotry on air, and to create one if it did not already exist.
- Curbing on-air bigotry (TH) The Court appears unconvinced that the present mechanism of self-regulation, the National Broadcasting Standards Authority, is effective. It would be in order if the self-regulation mechanism deals with departures from normative journalism. And the government is, in any case, empowered under the Act to prohibit transmission of programmes that violate the programme or advertising codes (Section 19) and even an entire channel, in public interest (Section 20).
GS2: International Relations
- Is India facing a two-front threat? (TH) While the India-China standoff continues in eastern Ladakh, the Line of Control (LoC) is yet again on the boil. We discuss whether India faces the prospect of a two-front war.
- In APEC speech, Xi touts China’s economy as base of free trade (TH) Buoyed by the signing of the world’s largest trade pact over the weekend, Mr. Xi said the Asia-Pacific is the “forerunner driving global growth” in a world hit by “multiple challenges.”
- Explained: World Toilet Day 2020, and the state of sanitation in India (IE) The reason why so many die from unsafe sanitation is that, in India, a high proportion of the population does not have access to “improved sanitation”.
- Digital India is now a way of life, says PM (TH) Digital India mission, launched five years ago, was not being seen as any regular government initiative and had now become a way of life, especially for the poor and marginalised and those in the government, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Thursday. He asserted that ‘technology first’ was their governance model.
- India has moved to the Centre stage of International Energy Affairs: International Energy Agency (PIB) Speaking at a virtual launch of the Energy Technology Perspectives 2020, a new study of IEA which focusses on the technology needs and opportunities for reaching international climate and sustainable energy goals, Mr. Birol praised the Indian government for its efforts in providing clean energy to millions by way of schemes like Ujjawala and Ujala.
- "Mission Purvodaya will drive eastern India towards self-reliance and contribute to making of an Aatmanirbhar Bharat, says Shri Dharmendra Pradhan at AGM of Merchants Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PIB)" hri Pradhan said that under Mission Purvodaya, we are building an Integrated Steel Hub in eastern India which would add to the competitiveness of the steel sector and facilitate regional development with job creation. “The steel clusters will drive employment opportunities across the value chain, creating both direct and indirect jobs and spurring entrepreneurship, including in under-developed areas. It will spur development of other manufacturing industries and will be accompanied with social infrastructure in the form of cities, schools, hospitals, skilling centers etc.”, he added.