GS1: Modern History
- President of India pays homage to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel on his Birth Anniversary (PIB) The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, paid homage to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel on his birth anniversary at Rashtrapati Bhavan today (October 31, 2020). The President and officials of Rashtrapati Bhavan paid floral tributes in front of a portrait of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
- Explained: How severe is Typhoon Goni, Asia’s most powerful tropical storm of 2020? (IE) Catastrophic violent winds and intense to torrential rainfall associated with the region of the eyewall and inner rainbands of the typhoon is prevailing or expected within the next 12 hours over the western portion of Camarines Sur, Marinduque, the central and southern portions of Quezon, Laguna, the eastern portion of Batangas, and Cavite. This is a particularly dangerous situation for these areas
- "Strategic Policy Unit: One among the steps initiated by the Ministry of AYUSH to make the Ayush sector future-ready (PIB)" The SPFB is the latest in a series of steps – like setting up the comprehensive IT backbone called Ayush Grid for the entire Sector, streamlining of Ayush Education on modern lines, evolving global standards for Ayush systems for diagnostics and terminologies in the ICD framework and setting up a vertical for Ayush Drugs Control – initiated by the Ministry to enable the Ayush systems to move into the centre-stage of healthcare activities in the 21st century, many of which have already progressed into the implementation phase.
- Nath moves SC over EC curbs on Congress campaigners’ list (TH) The petition said it was the prerogative of his party and not the EC to remove his name as star campaigner.
GS2: International Relations
- The shifting trajectory of India’s foreign policy (TH) New Delhi’s diplomatic skills will be tested now that the country is effectively a part of the U.S.’s security architecture
- A secure future for platform workers (TH) There is a strong case to attribute a more robust responsibility to platform companies and the State
GS3: Internal Security
- Explained: What is Army Aviation Corps, the youngest Corps of the Indian Army (IE) Immediately after raising, the units of the Corps were pressed into action in Operation Pawan by the Indian Peacekeeping Forces, in the mostly jungle areas of Sri Lanka against the Tamil Tigers. Ever since, AAC helicopters have been an inseparable part of fighting formations in all major conflict scenarios, and a life-saving asset in peace times.
GS3: Science & Technology
- Explained: What is 16 Psyche, the asteroid believed to be worth $10,000 quadrillion? (IE) NASA scientists believe that the asteroid is made up of almost entirely of iron, nickel and several other rare materials like gold, platinum, cobalt, iridium and rhenium.
- "VAIBHAV Summit: A Unique Confluence of Resident and Overseas Indian Scientists/Academicians concludes successfully (PIB)" Certain areas of collaboration have emerged which were not stressed in the past, such as bioremediation, urban ore recycling and metal organics. Experts debated on the future electricity grids, interactive but islandable microgrids and related technologies key to electrification in India and maintaining resilience.