GS2: Polity & Governance
- SC to hear plea against sale of electoral bonds (TH) “Every time there is an election, the sale is opened. Every time this happens, we have moved the Supreme Court to stay it
- Aadhaar as a hurdle (TH) Inefficiencies in the Aadhaar project should not come in the way of welfare delivery
- Rajya Sabha passes Bill to raise FDI limit in insurance sector(IE)“The FDI policy is brought in only to supplement domestic capital. This will only supplement what is available in the country because what is now available is not sufficient,” Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman told the House.
- LS passes supplementary demand for grants (TH) The Lok Sabha on Thursday passed the supplementary demand for grants (second batch for 2020-21) but not before significant concerns raised by Opposition leaders on the government’s disinvestment and asset monetisation plans, and rising fuel prices.
- Lateral Entry: A challenging administrative reform(IE) The present government, to its credit, has taken some steps on lateral entry. Eight professionals were recruited for joint secretary-level positions in various ministries. Some other positions at the joint secretary and director-level have been advertised. But this is unlikely to shake up the system which is the entire logic of lateral entry. Here is why.
- What does MMDR Amendment Bill, 2021 entail? (IE) Coal and Mines Minister Prahlad Joshi has introduced the Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) Amendment Bill, 2021 in Lok Sabha. What are the key changes?
- Roads to be freed of toll booths in a year: Gadkari (TH)India will implement a GPS-based toll collection system and do away with all toll booths within a year, Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari informed the Lok Sabha on Thursday.
GS2: International Relations
- Russia hosts Afghan peace meet (TH) Russia hosted a peace conference for Afghanistan on Thursday, bringing together government representatives and their Taliban adversaries along with international observers in a bid to help jump-start the country’s stalled peace process.