- Odisha, West Bengal brace for Amphan(TH); NCMC reviews preparedness as Super Cyclonic Storm ‘AMPHAN’ set to make landfall on 20th May, 2020(PIB): Amphan was upgraded to a super cyclonic storm on Monday, only the second to form in the Bay of Bengal in two decades.
GS1: Social Issues
- Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups - No grains, matchmaking for Saharias in Madhya Pradesh during lockdown(TH) Each spell of migration in April-May opens up the prospect of match-making for the particularly vulnerable tribal group which marries outside the village
- Unknown sources funding parties(TH) As much as 67% of donations to national parties in 2018-19 came from “unknown sources,” an increase from 53% in the previous financial year.
- Union Finance Minister announces several initiatives to boost Education Sector(PIB) The Minister highlighted that the education sector has taken this opportunity to plan several interventions, particularly in the area of adopting innovative curriculum and pedagogies, concentrating energies on the gap areas, being more inclusive and integrating technology at every stage, to usher in a new era of focussed investment in the human capital.
GS2: International Relations
- Call for WHO probe into virus origin(TH African group of nations extends support for India-backed resolution at the WHA
- Vardhan participates in the 73rd World Health Assembly through VC(PIB) Therapeutics, diagnostics and vaccines for the whole world is the only way out of this pandemic.
- A jolt to national energy security(TH) The amendments to the Electricity Bill will only burden States and erode the concurrent status given to electricity
- Centre’s rural job spending push a work in progress(Mint) In 2020-21, the central govt plans to spend much more money than it ever has on the MGNREGS and has increased the allocation by ₹40,000 crore to over ₹1 trillion.
- Explained: Breaking down Centre’s Atma Nirbhar package A chunk of the Centre’s fiscal relief – Rs 40,000 crore or 0.2 per cent of GDP – has come as additional allocation to MGNREGA over and above the Budget Estimate of Rs 61,500 crore in the fifth and final tranche of the Atmanirbhar package announced by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman
- Explain Speaking: Why the Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan economic package is being criticised; Towards Swa-Raj(IE) PM Narendra Modi today launched e-Gram Swaraj & Swamitva Yojana, two web portals for accelerating the pace of development in India's villages.
- Stimulus to cost only about 1% of GDP (TH) The much-hyped ₹20-lakh crore economic package announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi will have a minimum impact on the fiscal cost,
- Rare palm from Andamans gets second home(TH) The critically endangered species started flowering at Thiruvananthapuram-based JNTBGRI
GS3: Science & Technology
- Explained: How Covid-19 affects different parts of the body It is still not clear why some individuals infected with the disease remain asymptomatic, while there are others who develop mild or moderate symptoms and some who get critically ill and succumb to the disease.
GS3: Internal Security
- "Government implements Shekatkar Committee recommendations related to creating border infrastructure(PIB)" On the matter related to creating border infrastructure, the Government has implemented recommendation of CoE to outsource road construction work beyond optimal capacity of Border Roads Organisation (BRO). It has been made mandatory to adopt Engineering Procurement Contract (EPC) mode for execution of all works costing more than Rs 100 crore.