GS1: The Freedom Struggle
- ‘Last nails in the coffin of British rule’: Remembering Lala Lajpat Rai on his death anniversary Apart from his active involvement in politics, Rai also wrote extensively in English and Urdu. His important works include: ‘The Arya Samaj’, ‘Young India’, ‘England’s Debt to India’, ‘Evolution of Japan’, ‘India’s Will to Freedom’, ‘Message of the Bhagwad Gita’, ‘Political Future of India’, ‘Problem of National Education in India’, ‘The Depressed Glasses’, and the travelogue ‘United States of America’.
- SC discusses ‘voluntary code of conduct’ for Cabinet Ministers (TH) The court is examining if additional restrictions should be put on public functionaries’ right to free speech and expression.
GS2: Health issues
- Kerala on track to eliminate TB by 2025 (TH) It will have to focus more on strengthening diagnostic services and training component
GS2: International relations
- Energy-starved Africa looks to India for nuclear reactors (MInt) While hydropower generation has witnessed a decline leading to lower supply of electricity in African nations, India’s pressurized heavy water reactor’s (PHWR’s) unit size are well-suited to meet their small demand load.
- ‘Wasteland conversion threatens livelihoods, ecological balance’ (TH) Environmentalists say the idea of a wasteland is a political construct
- Once badlands, Chambal to be on eco-tourism map soon (ToI) The ravines of Chambal, a unique geographical feature having gullies up to 15-20 feet deep which once used to be hideouts of dreaded dacoits, will turn into a hub of eco-tourism and improved farm practices
- Collapse of ancient civilisation linked to megadrought (TH) Dramatic shift from wet to dry climate could have caused crop failure in Neo-Assyrian empire.
- NITI, CII draft plan to improve air quality (TH) A joint report by NITI Aayog and CII proposes steps to tackle emissions from construction and demolition as well as production and transportation of construction material
- Centre explores new law to shield global investors (Mint) The Centre is exploring a law to protect investments affected by state governments’ decisions to scrap contracts as it moves to reassure foreign investors who are riled up by Andhra Pradesh’s plan to annul some clean energy agreements.
- India’s need for a sovereign digital currency (ORF) Last month, Chinese President Xi Jinping announced that China should ‘Seize Opportunity’ to adopt Blockchain at the Political Bureau meeting of the Central Committee.
GS3: Science and Technology
- Home Minister launches winter-grade diesel suitable for extreme winters of up to -30O Celcius for Ladakh Region (PIB) Motorists in high-altitude sectors like Ladakh, Kargil, Kaza and Keylong face the problem of freezing of diesel in their vehicles when winter temperatures drop to as low as -30o Celsius.
- Long-standing conundrum on the Sun’s atmosphere solved (TH) The temperature at the core of the Sun is nearly 15 million degrees Celsius, while that at its surface layer, known as the photosphere, is merely 5,700 degrees C.