- Explained: As Jallikattu begins, recalling the cultural argument for an ancient tradition (IE) Jallikattu is a bull-taming sport that has traditionally been part of the festival of Pongal. However, the practice has long been contested, with animal rights groups and the courts concerned over issues of cruelty to animals and the bloody and dangerous nature of the sport.
- Can courts stay laws made by the legislature? (TH) What do judicial precedents say, and why is an interim suspension of an Act frowned upon?
International Relations: GS2
- U.K. invites PM Modi to G7 summit in June (TH) Modi participated in the Biarritz G7 summit in 2019 when French President Emmanuel Macron had invited India.
- Centre mulls BIC model for bank recap (TH) Setting up a BIC as a holding company or a core investment company was suggested by the P.J. Nayak Committee.
- "PCRA launches month-long mass awareness campaign ‘SAKSHAM’ to spread awareness about ‘Green and Clean Energy’ (PIB)" ‘SAKSHAM’s idea is to convince consumers to switch to cleaner fuels and bring in behavioral change to use fossil fuel intelligently.
Science & Technology: GS3
- What is 5G and how prepared is India to adapt to this tech? (IE) 5G or fifth generation is the latest upgrade in the long-term evolution (LTE) mobile broadband networks. 5G mainly works in 3 bands, namely low, mid and high frequency spectrum — all of which have their own uses as well as limitations.
- The sustained fight against trans fat (TH) Why did the FSSAI introduce new caps on trans fats? What more needs to be done for global elimination?