- Lok Sabha passes The Farmers' Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Bill, 2020 and The Farmers (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement of Price Assurance and Farm Services Bill, 2020 Two bills aimed at transforming agriculture in the country and raising farmers’ income were passed by Lok Sabha. The Farmers' Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Bill, 2020 and The Farmers (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement of Price Assurance and Farm Services Bill, 2020 were introduced in Lok Sabha on 14th September 2020.
- Supreme Court asks High Courts to form Special Benches to decide criminal cases involving MPs, MLAs (TH) There are about 175 cases under the Prevention of Corruption Act and 14 cases are pending under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act, 2002 against sitting/former legislators,” the order noted.
- If you want guidelines,regulate digital media first, Centre tells SC (IE) A three-judge Bench of the Court had on September 15 restrained Sudarshan TV from airing the remaining episodes of the show, which it had been promoting with the hashtag UPSC_Jihad. While doing so, it had hinted that it plans to set up a panel to suggest guidelines for electronic media.
- Pandemic And Federalism(IE) Why should the Centre spend, Debroy asked, on a state subject like health and why couldn’t states contribute to a Union subject like defence?
- For the welfare of animals(TH) The Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (PCA) Act, 1960 punishes the most serious forms of animal violence with a paltry fine of ₹50. We’ve had amendment bills, social media campaigns and petitions before the Supreme Court seeking stricter punishment for animal abuse, but to no avail.
GS2: International Relations
- A push for reform(TH) The UN must change to reflect the altered geopolitical realities in order to stay relevant
- Explained: Why is the UK moving ahead with legislation violating the Brexit treaty?(IE) Called the Internal Market Bill, the UK has attempted to ensure that it will be able to trade freely with its constituent countries, namely, England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.
- Irdai working on 2 insurance schemes for MSMEs, another for dwelling units(IE) The insurance watchdog had come out with standard health products called Arogya Sanjeevani and Covid-19 specific products — Corona Rakshak and Corona Kavach — two months ago. Under the Corona Kavach plan, around 28 lakh lives have been covered since its launch on July 10, 2020.
- National Water Policy The proposed National Bureau of Water Use Efficiency (NBWUE) will have the overall responsibility of improving water use efficiency across various sectors, namely irrigation, drinking water supply, power generation, industries, cities and all other areas where water is used.