- Explained: Why annual floods are essential for the survival of Kaziranga(IE) The regenerative nature of floods helps replenish Kaziranga’s water bodies and maintain its landscape, a mix of wetlands, grasslands and semi-evergreen deciduous forests. Saikia said the floodwaters also function as a breeding ground for fish. “The same fish are carried away by the receding waters into the Brahmaputra — in a way, the park replenishes the river’s stock of fish too,
- "Explained: Why have questions been raised about the move for delimitation in the Northeast?(IE)" Delimitation is the act of redrawing boundaries of Lok Sabha and Assembly seats to represent changes in population. In this process, the number of seats allocated to a state may also change.
- The Migrant’s Right to vote(IE) The Supreme Court has interpreted the right to vote as an extension of the fundamental right of the freedom of expression. This brings with it a positive obligation on the ECI to ensure optimal conditions for the exercise of this freedom.
- Union Minister Dr. Jitendra Singh launches the revamped Scheme for PM’s Awards for Excellence in Public Administration 2020 and web portal Nominations have been called in four major categories – District Performance Indicators Programme, Innovation General Category, Aspirational Districts Program and Namami Gange Program. Under the District Performance Indicators Programme, District Collectors would be evaluated on their contribution to Inclusive Development through credit flow to priority sector, Promoting peoples movements - Jan Bhagidari through effective implementation of priority sector schemes of SBM (Gramin) and SBM (Urban) programs, Improving service delivery and redressal of Public Grievances.
GS2: International Relations
- Iran ties need quiet diplomacy(TH) Meanwhile, Iran has ambitious plans to extend the railway line from Zahidan to Mashad (about 1,000 km) and then another 150 km onwards to Sarakhs on the border with Turkmenistan. Another plan is to link it with the International North-South Transport Corridor towards Bandar Anzali on the Caspian Sea.
- Explained: In China-Iran, India’s concerns(IE) India’s dilemma also stems from the fact that robust support from the US is essential when it is locked in a border stand-off with China. India may want to wait for the results of the November US election. If Joe Biden comes back to power, there may be no threat of sanctions; but if Trump is re-elected, India may prefer a long-term, strategic decision before continuing with the railway project.
- At UN meet, Modi calls for ‘reformed multilateralism’(TH) Only reformed multilateralism with a reformed United Nations at its centre can meet the aspirations of humanity,” said PM Modi, speaking at a high-level dialogue of the U.N.’s Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) on the subject ‘Multilateralism after COVID-19: What kind of UN do we need at the 75th Anniversary?’
- Joint Statement on U.S.-India Strategy Energy Partnership The SEP organizes inter-agency engagement on both sides across four primary pillars of cooperation: (1) Power and Energy Efficiency; (2) Oil and Gas; (3) Renewable Energy; and (4) Sustainable Growth. The SEP also supports USG efforts under the AsiaEDGE initiative, which establishes India as a strong energy partner in the Indo-Pacific region.
- Explained: Why MP’s push for inclusion into the GI list of Basmati can hurt India globally(IE) In May 2010, APEDA, a statutory body under the Ministry of Commerce, got this certification for the region located in Indo-Gangetic Plains (IGP) below the foothills of the Himalayas, spread across seven states — Himachal Pradesh, J&K, Punjab, Haryana, Uttarakhand, Western UP (26 districts) and Delhi.
- Automotive technology e-portal from International Centre of Automotive Technology(ICAT).(PIB)" Department of Heavy Industry (DHI), Govt of India, has embarked on a mission to promote innovation, R&D and product development in India for various sectors. A step towards this mission is the creation of technology platform e-portals where such technology development, information exchange and innovation can be facilitated.