- India goes down two ranks in Human Development Index India, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Nepal, Cambodia, Kenya, and Pakistan were ranked under countries with medium human development with a rank in between 120 and 156 among the 189-counties
- Plea in SC for uniform divorce, alimony rules (TH) Petitioner wants laws on divorce, maintenance and alimony to be “gender-neutral and religion-neutral”
- Excellence in diversity (TH) Cites need to maintain ‘excellence’, lack of suitable candidates from reserved categories
- How Parliament meets (IE) The government has said that parties are in favour of doing away with the Winter Session, and that it would be appropriate to have the Budget Session in January. How and when is Parliament convened?
- Explained: Maharashtra House resolution on Arnab Goswami and its face-off with judiciary (IE) Questioning the boundaries of the judiciary's powers, both Houses of the Maharashtra State Legislature passed proposals Tuesday stating that they will not take cognizance of or reply to any notice sent by the High Court or the Supreme Court in the Breach of Privilege motion against Republic TV editor and anchor Arnab Goswami.
- "Maintenance allowance of Rs 20,000 to be released under Prime Minister’s Special Scholarship Scheme (PMSSS) by AICTE (PIB)" Under the PMSSS Scheme, the youths of J&K and Ladakh are supported by way of scholarship in two parts namely the academic fee & maintenance allowance. AICTE has already released the entire academic fee for the year 2020-21 to all the institutions. The maintenance allowance had been fully released as per scheme guidelines till the end of last academic year 2019-20. Subsequently due to COVID-19, the academic institutions across India were closed and only online classes are going on. Since there is no hostel & mess expenditure involved, the maintenance allowance was suspended, till such time students physically join the institutes.
GS2: International Relations
- The many challenges for WTO (TH) At the core of the divide within the WTO is the Doha Development Agenda, which the developed countries sought to jettison in favour of a new agenda that includes, amongst others, e-commerce, investment facilitation, MSMEs and gender.
- Explained: How Punjab can achieve crop diversification (IE) The farmer protests have led to questions being raised on the extensive cultivation of paddy and wheat, especially in Punjab. How much of these crops is grown, and what are the options for diversification?
- Union Minister of Jal Shakti reviews progress made under National Hydrology Project in its mid-term (PIB) National Hydrology Project (NHP) was started in the year 2016 as a Central Sector Scheme with 100% grant to Implementing agencies on pan India basis with a budget outlay of Rs 3680 Crore to be spent over a period of 8 years. The project aims at improving the extent, reliability and accessibility of water resources information and to strengthen the capacity of targeted water resource management institutions in India. Thus NHP is facilitating acquisition of reliable information efficiently which would pave the way for an effective water resource development and management.