Updated on 16 November, 2019
- CM announces free septic tank cleaning service (TH) Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Friday announced a scheme — Mukhyamantri Septic Tank Safai Yojana.
- Treating education as a public good (TH) The recent National Education Policy document, despite its lacunae, is a vast improvement over its earlier avatar
- New Strict Surrogacy Bill On The Anvil, Clinics Shut Shop (TH) Shutters are coming down on surrogacy in India, with several fertility clinics across Mumbai, Hyderabad and New Delhi refusing fresh cases as the new Surrogacy (Regulation) Bill, 2019, is set to be tabled in Rajya Sabha during winter session starting November 18.
- Explained: How Supreme Court’s Sabarimala verdict differs with Ayodhya order (IE) In Adelaide Co. of Jehovah’s Witnesses Inc. v Commonwealth (1943), Australia’s High Court observed: “What is religion to one is superstition to another”. The Supreme Court has once again taken up the task of defining “essential religious practices”.
GS2: Social issues
- No punitive action to control population, India commits in Nairobi (DTE) At the Global Population Summit in Nairobi, which concluded November 14, 2019, India also said it would increase its basket of contraceptives and improve the quality of family planning services.
- ArcelorMittal’s takeover of Essar cleared by SC (TH) Allows Arcelor's upfront payment of ₹42,000 cr. to secured financial creditors of Essar
- What is the significance of wholesale and retail inflation rates diverging (IE) The WPI inflation for October has touched a 40-month low. But retail inflation in the country for the same month has touched a 16-month high.
- Wrong number (IE) The revival plan for BSNL and MTNL does not inspire confidence
- Rules notified to bring financial firms under IBC (TH) RBI will decide which companies will be taken up under these rules, says FM
- New IBC Rules to Cover Financial Service Providers (ET) The corporate affairs ministry has notified the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Rules, 2019. It will provide a generic framework for insolvency and liquidation proceedings of systemically important Financial Service Providers (FSPs) other than banks
- Cochin Airport: Powered by the sun (DTE) A host of factors contributed to Cochin Airport becoming fully solar powered and now, other airports in India are taking cue and following suit
- Centre drops plan to bring in changes to Forest Act of 1927 (TH) The draft had mooted giving a wide range of powers to forest officers