- Explained: As Jallikattu begins, recalling the cultural argument for an ancient tradition (IE) Jallikattu is a bull-taming sport that has traditionally been part of the festival of Pongal. However, the practice has long been contested, with animal rights groups and the courts concerned over issues of cruelty to animals and the bloody and dangerous nature of the sport.
- Private space (TH) Making public notices optional under Special Marriage Act is a relief for inter-faith couples
- CARA Celebrates its 6th Annual Day The efforts put in by CARA during organization of various events like Web Lecture Series, Q&A Series on Counselling of Families by NIMHANS, Q&A Series on Facebook, Interactive Session with Prospective Adoptive Parents and Adoptees and Advocacy through IEC Material for promotion of adoption programme during International Adoption Month-November 2020, reached out to more than 1.5 lakh people. States and UTs have also conducted various programmes for promotion of Adoption with wide mass outreach.
International Relations: GS2
- After U.S., Russia pulls out of Open Skies treaty (TH) Arms control tensions have been rising between Moscow and Washington and New START, their last remaining major nuclear arms control treaty, is set to expire in February.
- Trade with China shrank in 2020, deficit at five-year low The trade deficit, a source of friction between India and China, declined to a five year-low of $45.8 billion, the lowest since 2015.
- India collected just 3% e-waste generated in 2018, 10% in 2019: CPCB report India collected just 10 per cent of the electronic waste (e-waste) estimated to have been generated in the country 2018-19 and 3.5 per cent of that in the generated in 2017-18, said a recent report by the Central Pollution Control Board.
- Climate change adaptation: Cost to at least quadruple for developing countries in 3 decades The ever-increasing adaptation cost has also outpaced the growth in adaptation finance that refers to the flow of funds to developing countries to help them tide over the damages caused by weather events from climate change.