- The road to zero hunger by 2030 (TH) Resilient food systems will have to be built back as the world is not on track to achieve global targets.
GS2: International Relations
- MEA: India to soon deliver Myanmar’s first submarine (IE) The step is in line with India’s SAGAR (Security and Growth for All in the Region) initiative and its commitment to building capacities in the neighbourhood, the ministry said.
- Zoo revives scheme for animal adoption (TH) The Nandankanan Zoological Park (NZP) in Bhubaneswar, which suffered a huge loss following its closure due to the COVID-19 pandemic, has revived its innovative 'Adopt-An-Animal' programme to mobilise resources for animals
GS3: Disaster Management
- Dealing with a deluge (TH) An analysis by the Centre for Science and Environment in 2016 revealed that 3,245 hectares of water bodies were lost in Hyderabad between 1989 and 2001. In the long term, the effects of flooding due to deluges can only be mitigated if urban planners take into account the hydro-geology of cities and ensure that construction, development and land occupation do not take place in a way that reduces the area of wetlands.
- GST: Centre to borrow for States (TH) Under the Special Window, the estimated shortfall of ₹1.1 lakh cr (assuming all States join) will be borrowed by Government of India in appropriate tranches. The amount so borrowed will be passed on to the States as a back-to-back loan in lieu of GST Compensation Cess releases.
- To check diversion, Centre plans limit on purchase of fertilisers by farmers (IE) Currently, the government is following a “no-denial” policy: anybody, non-farmers included, can buy any quantity of fertiliser through POS machines.
- Union Education Minister virtually launches 'KAPILA' Kalam Program for IP Literacy (PIB) It is necessary not only to invent for the self-sufficiency of the country, but also to patent the inventions. Patent of inventions will lead India towards Self-Reliance, he said. India has a proud history of Nalanda and Takshila Universities so we already had the intellectual property inherited within our culture.
- Leather Sector Skill Council launches SCALE India Android App (PIB) Operating under the aegis of the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship(MSDE), LSSC is committed to strengthen its digital capabilities on quality assurance across training delivery, monitoring, assessments, verification and linkages to ASEEM portal