- Explained: What forecast of shrinking populations means for India and world(IE) The paper suggests that continued trends in female educational attainment and access to contraception will hasten declines in fertility and slow population growth.
GS2: International Relations
- India and European Union push trade talks(TH) Both sides stressed the importance of bilateral trade, as EU is India’s largest trading partner, while India is the E.U.’s ninth biggest trading partner.
- India should believe in the EU(TH) On climate change, the EU is building on its ambitious target to render the continent carbon-emission neutral by 2050, through its new industrial strategy, the Green Deal.
- Explained: What is non-personal data?(IE) In its most basic form, non-personal data is any set of data which does not contain personally identifiable information. This in essence means that no individual or living person can be identified by looking at such data.
- The taxing issues behind India’s equalization levy(Mint) Tech giants or e-commerce companies such as Google and Facebook benefit from this growth by generating revenue from outside the country of residence. They were not required to pay taxes until 2016 as the performance of the requested services were not executed in India. Foreign firms with permanent establishments are taxed at the rate of 40%.
- TIFAC releases report on ‘Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients- Status, Issues, Technology Readiness and Challenges’ It has been prepared by Technology Information, Forecasting and Assessment Council (TIFAC).
- Inflation alert(TH) With inflation already above the RBI’s 6% target upper bound, monetary policy makers face an unenviable choice. A further rate cut to help revive economic momentum risks fanning faster price gains and putting the economy on a path to stagflation.
- Skill India for Atmanirbhar Bharat (IE)"The UN has quite appropriately chosen the theme “Skills for a Resilient Youth” for World Youth Skills Day today, which is being observed by holding virtual events.
GS3: Science & Technology
- Explained: What is Hope, UAE’s first mission to Mars?(IE) The spacecraft will orbit Mars to study the Martian atmosphere and its interaction with outer space and solar winds. Hope will collect data on Martian climate dynamics, which should help scientists understand why Mars’ atmosphere is decaying into space.
- Information frozen in magnetic minerals can forecast climatic changes faster & more accurately(PIB) Indian monsoon and its variability has been studied through different continental (tree rings, paleosols, speleothems, fluviolacustrine sediments, peat deposits, microfossils, magnetic minerals, etc.) and oceanic (foraminifers, isotopes, isotope ratios, organic content of sediments, etc.) proxies. The IIG Scientists used changes in properties of magnetic minerals for their research in India’s Paleomonsoonal pattern, which is a comparatively new technique applied in our country.